Caught on camera... How not to overtake...

Articles of interest to the AD community, currently in the news.
jont-

Re: Caught on camera... How not to overtake...

Postby jont- » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:38 am

martine wrote:The lack of traffic police means some want to at least report the idiots.

But also usually with a self-righteous view that they themselves are of course behaving beyond reproach, and without thinking about how their own behaviour may have contributed to the situation.

If we want roads policing, lets pay the police to do it properly.

Rick448

Postby Rick448 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:56 am

martine wrote:I don't have a dashcam but I think the motivation for most could be a genuine concern for safety of themselves and others.

I saw a learner motorcyclist ride in a very unsafe manner recently...if I'd drawn level with him at traffic lights I would have tried to have a word (but probably be subjected to a load of abuse) - my heart was in my mouth watching him...if he carries on like that he will soon be an 'ex-motorcyclist'.

The lack of traffic police means some want to at least report the idiots.

Are you Ronnie Pickering?

Rick448

Postby Rick448 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:57 am

jont- wrote:
martine wrote:The lack of traffic police means some want to at least report the idiots.

But also usually with a self-righteous view that they themselves are of course behaving beyond reproach, and without thinking about how their own behaviour may have contributed to the situation.

Absolutely this.

Revian

Postby Revian » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:05 am

jont- wrote:

why don't you make a sweeping statement... ;)

Yes and.... Don't all citizens have some responsibility for the society we live in? Wouldn't you ever step in to help or just wait for the police to see an (eg) assault happening or wait for the ambulance to arrive instead of seeing what you could do. Course you would.... I hope you would...
Ian

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:56 am

Revian wrote:... or the one on his phone for (literally) miles driving through Liverpool...I might well have used it.

Would you have reported him if he had been on a hands-free call for (literally) miles through Liverpool?

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:02 pm

Revian wrote:Wouldn't you ever step in to help or just wait for the police to see an (eg) assault happening or wait for the ambulance to arrive instead of seeing what you could do. Course you would.... I hope you would...

http://news.sky.com/story/1597926/good-samaritan-killed-with-broken-wine-bottle

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/latest-news/top-stories/good-samaritan-killed-for-trying-to-stop-fight-outside-leeds-pub-1-7544941

There are any number of incidents where people trying to help end up as the victim. How far are you prepared to risk your life and the future of your family in order to "step in to help"?

Not suggesting any one choice over another. Just sayin'. Things aren't as clear cut as they used to be.

hir

Postby hir » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:11 pm

Revian wrote:Yes and.... Don't all citizens have some responsibility for the society we live in? Wouldn't you ever step in to help or just wait for the police to see an (eg) assault happening or wait for the ambulance to arrive instead of seeing what you could do. Course you would.... I hope you would...

I would be happy to be convinced of the noble civic duty undertaken by the dashcampaigners if they could assure me that they were prepared to send video footage to the police of examples of their own bad driving caught on their own dashcams, and ask the police to prepare whatever prosecution was appropriate for them. Otherwise it's all just hypocrisy.

Revian

Postby Revian » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:15 pm

Strangely Brown wrote:
Revian wrote:... or the one on his phone for (literally) miles driving through Liverpool...I might well have used it.

Would you have reported him if he had been on a hands-free call for (literally) miles through Liverpool?

No... At least he would have been looking where he was going.
Ian

Revian

Postby Revian » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:18 pm

Strangely Brown wrote:
Revian wrote:Wouldn't you ever step in to help or just wait for the police to see an (eg) assault happening or wait for the ambulance to arrive instead of seeing what you could do. Course you would.... I hope you would...

http://news.sky.com/story/1597926/good-samaritan-killed-with-broken-wine-bottle

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/latest-news/top-stories/good-samaritan-killed-for-trying-to-stop-fight-outside-leeds-pub-1-7544941

There are any number of incidents where people trying to help end up as the victim. How far are you prepared to risk your life and the future of your family in order to "step in to help"?

Not suggesting any one choice over another. Just sayin'. Things aren't as clear cut as they used to be.

I have done. Extreme outcomes are not typical. You make an assessment.... I'm 5 foot 5... And at least try to calm it down. Things, contrary to your suggestion, have never been clear cut...

The other side the road is over there.... 8-)
Last edited by Revian on Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ian

Revian

Postby Revian » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:21 pm

hir wrote:
Revian wrote:Yes and.... Don't all citizens have some responsibility for the society we live in? Wouldn't you ever step in to help or just wait for the police to see an (eg) assault happening or wait for the ambulance to arrive instead of seeing what you could do. Course you would.... I hope you would...

I would be happy to be convinced of the noble civic duty undertaken by the dashcampaigners if they could assure me that they were prepared to send video footage to the police of examples of their own bad driving caught on their own dashcams, and ask the police to prepare whatever prosecution was appropriate for them. Otherwise it's all just hypocrisy.

That's moral rubbish.. To be gentle ;).

We are all wrong in something or other. Your view would lead to the abolition of all laws, justice and police... Find me someone who's perfect. There is such a thing as scale in everything.
Ian

Return to “In The News”