will autonomous vehicles affect cycling?

Technology in driving is becoming more dominant...
akirk

will autonomous vehicles affect cycling?

Postby akirk » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:45 am

A pattern I have noticed over the years is that children cycle often as a means of freedom, it is one of the simplest ways (esp. in the country village) of escaping from the family and having the means to roam wider than otherwise - it is also seen perhaps as a valid excuse for getting out of the house - certainly I spent many years as a child / teenager on my bike... then the ability to drive comes and the acquisition of a car, and the bike reverts to hobby and is often less used... until the onset of middle age, lycra, fancy carbon bikes, and terrorising the countryside in packs :D

if autonomous cars actually work - there will be no logic in an age limit for those in the car - a parent packing their darlings off to school in an autonomous taxi or family car will be no different to the 12 year old child deciding to pop over and see friends 10 miles away - they can just use the car - after all they will have no more or less responsibility for it and the car will be perfectly in control, so age won't matter...

will that therefore change the dynamics of other transport?

Alasdair

jont-

Re: will autonomous vehicles affect cycling?

Postby jont- » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:51 am

Or will they cycle more because it's cheap, and parents don't have to worry about kids being knocked off their bike by incompetent drivers.

How will drivers learn to be patient when their autonomous car won't overtake a cyclist because there isn't enough safe space?

I imagine it will be more revolutionary for the elderly who can keep their independence for longer even once their health/eyesight isn't up to driving themselves.

Adamxck

Postby Adamxck » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:58 am

I had never considered 'underage' people using autonomous cars alone.

I find it hard to imagine a parent letting a 12 year old loose in the car without supervision.

I suppose its not too dissimilar to catching the bus into town when I was younger, just less waiting around. Fewer potential weirdos too.
Adam.

akirk

Postby akirk » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:12 am

Adamxck wrote:I had never considered 'underage' people using autonomous cars alone.

Think of all the parents who are separated and where they currently drive to meet and swap children...
just stick them in an autonomous car and send them to the other parent - other than the need for toilet stops / feeding them, there is no logic which says you couldn't stick a baby in one and send it on its way... you could have it so that only the other parent can open it (fingerprint recognition / code / etc.) both parents could track the car, and using in car cctv talk to and watch the child...

rather like Royal Mail Special Delivery for children :D - at last the ability to package up a child and post them somewhere!

Alasdair

gannet

Postby gannet » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:43 am

akirk wrote:
Adamxck wrote:I had never considered 'underage' people using autonomous cars alone.

Think of all the parents who are separated and where they currently drive to meet and swap children...
just stick them in an autonomous car and send them to the other parent - other than the need for toilet stops / feeding them, there is no logic which says you couldn't stick a baby in one and send it on its way... you could have it so that only the other parent can open it (fingerprint recognition / code / etc.) both parents could track the car, and using in car cctv talk to and watch the child...

rather like Royal Mail Special Delivery for children :D - at last the ability to package up a child and post them somewhere!

Alasdair

that is actually quite a scary thought, but maybe that's just me :o

Horse

Postby Horse » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:43 pm

Adamxck wrote: I find it hard to imagine a parent letting a 12 year old loose in the car without supervision.

My commute to work sometimes happens as the kids are off to school, and I often see unsupervised junior-age kids walking in, inluding crossing quite busy roads . . .

Adamxck wrote: Fewer potential weirdos too.

Do you honestly think there are more weirdos now - or just that the tabloids etc. make sure we know about it?

NB ^ That walk to school includes passing the local hostel for down and outs . . .
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Adamxck

Postby Adamxck » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:19 pm

There have always been weirdos on the bus. Well, where I live anyway. The window lickers, non covering mouth sneezers, beer can talkers and the not showered in 7 weekers.

I was pretty much oblivious as a child of the Jim'll fix it types.
Adam.

Return to “Technology”