The perfect car.... ...?!

Articles of interest to the AD community, currently in the news.
TheInsanity1234

Re: The perfect car.... ...?!

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:45 pm

I have to admit, I wouldn't purchase the "perfect" car if one ever existed.

Think about it, the cars which you've enjoyed the most are probably the ones which always had something not quite right, or the positioning of certain controls were always slightly un-intuitive, perhaps something never was quite working. But they are the cars you remember fondly because they had character. The cars which are least perfect are the ones closer to having human-like attributes.
Things which we consider to have a "soul" are the things that had faults, or oddities that always made you wonder, like what the designer was thinking when he put the controls for the electric windows on the roof, for instance.

If you had the perfect car that never goes wrong, works perfectly, everything is just so, literally the definition of perfection for you, how dull would it be? Sure, life would be easy, but would it be fun?

ChristianAB

Postby ChristianAB » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:49 pm

That car on the picture is a good illustration of what the expression 'designed by committee' means, yuk! :geek:

Silk

Postby Silk » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:12 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:I have to admit, I wouldn't purchase the "perfect" car if one ever existed.
If you had the perfect car that never goes wrong, works perfectly, everything is just so, literally the definition of perfection for you, how dull would it be? Sure, life would be easy, but would it be fun?

It would leave me free to concentrate on the driving. Anything that avoids getting in the way of the driver can only be good thing, IMEO.

waremark

Postby waremark » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:50 pm

Silk wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:I have to admit, I wouldn't purchase the "perfect" car if one ever existed.

It would leave me free to concentrate on the driving. Anything that avoids getting in the way of the driver can only be good thing, IMEO.

I choose to make things less easy by often driving a car with a manual gearbox.

IcedKiwi

Postby IcedKiwi » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:40 am

akirk wrote:
more interesting though - which car is closest to this ideal?!

Reminds me of a Spyker. Albeit in "Gran Coupe" form - you know, the 4 door version of a 2 door car which is in itself a 2 door version of a 4 door car... You've got to give it to the BMW marketing department.

Silk

Postby Silk » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:22 pm

waremark wrote:
Silk wrote:

You could argue (at least I would) that an automatic gearbox does get in the way of the driver, so isn't a good thing.

Rick448

Postby Rick448 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:21 pm

Horrible. I don't think there is a perfect all round car. Unless they are for a specific purpose they will always be compromised. For the most part I'm happy with my M3 but I'll see how it performs on track tomorrow.

waremark

Postby waremark » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:24 am

Silk wrote:
waremark wrote:
Silk wrote:

You could argue (at least I would) that an automatic gearbox does get in the way of the driver, so isn't a good thing.

How does a modern automatic gearbox get in the way of the driver?

Silk

Postby Silk » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:41 pm

waremark wrote:
Silk wrote:
waremark wrote:
Silk wrote:

How does a modern automatic gearbox get in the way of the driver?

It may make driving easier as there's less to do, but it doesn't necessarily make it better. I've never driven an automatic that gets the gear right, or at least the gear I judge to be right. The exception being the Tesla, as it only has one gear - difficult to get that one wrong.

WhoseGeneration

Postby WhoseGeneration » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:31 pm

Anyone here owned all the cars referenced?
Or any and which?
I owned a Spitfire and Cooper but a classic not the one shown here.

Return to “In The News”