Issues with our car...

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
TheInsanity1234

Issues with our car...

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:51 pm

Hello folks.

We have a MK2 Ford Galaxy (an '06 plate) which has the 1.9 TDI engine. It's done 115k miles or thereabouts, and it's been a perfectly reliable workhorse.

For the past year or so, I've noticed a weird side-to-side vibration from the front of the car whenever it's accelerating up a hill, at any speed above about 40ish. But the family never gave any thought to it, as it was a very slight vibration and it did it for a long time, but in the last month or so, the vibration suddenly became a lot worse, and it was doing it under any load, at any speed over 40ish, and it gets worse the higher the engine is revving. when the revs are fairly high, (above about 2.5k rpm) the vibration is choppy and it shakes the whole car like there's no tomorrow. But it still doesn't vibrate excessively unless we're travelling more than 40ish.

When coasting, there's no issue, and the engine revs freely with no vibrations when disconnected from the driving wheels.
We took it into the garage to have it checked over, and they adjusted the wheel balancing which reduced the problem quite a lot. That was about 2 weeks ago, and it's suddenly come back today. The garage said the tracking would be the next thing they look at.

Another problem the Galaxy has been doing for a while is a weird kangaroo'ing kind of acceleration, which clears up very quickly. We only see this issue when accelerating suddenly from about 10 mph in second gear, but even then, it doesn't do that every time, just every now and then.

Any ideas on what could be the issue(s)?

fengpo

Re: Issues with our car...

Postby fengpo » Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:14 pm

Issue with the suspension, master slave cylinder may be on it's way out is another option.

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:30 pm

You'll have to tell me what the master slave cylinder is? :lol:

fengpo

Postby fengpo » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:38 pm

The fluid that runs through the hoses to engage the clutch, don't quote me on it I could be completely wrong :/

chriskay

Postby chriskay » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:52 pm

fengpo wrote:The fluid that runs through the hoses to engage the clutch, don't quote me on it I could be completely wrong :/

What's the fluid have to do with it? Also, there's no such thing as a master slave cylinder: there's a master cylinder and a slave cylinder, two different things (assuming the clutch is hydraulically operated). The vibration problem could be a failed engine mount.
Carpe diem

Pyrolol

Postby Pyrolol » Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:00 am

Yeah, engine mounts was my thought too.

waremark

Postby waremark » Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:38 am

If there is no. Issue when coasting I think the garage is on the wrong lines and you should consider going somewhere different.

Consider drive shafts and all connections between engine and wheels.

WhoseGeneration

Postby WhoseGeneration » Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:44 am

Loads that should be looked at, engine mounts, as said above and gearbox mount(s). Then there's driveshafts, also mentioned above, suspension components, bushes, balljoints, suspension strut top mounts and obscure stuff like buckled wheels or out of round tyres. Time for the vibration plate and/or large pry bar.
Then, sometimes, vibration can actually be from rear suspension components, so the rear should be checked too.
The engine stuff is likely not connected and needs a diesel expert to analyse. However, as always, the first thing to try is an "Italian tune up".

chriskay

Postby chriskay » Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:10 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:Hello folks.

they adjusted the wheel balancing which reduced the problem quite a lot. That was about 2 weeks ago, and it's suddenly come back today.

This makes me think it might be a problem with the suspension. When they took the wheels off to balance them, the suspension would have been unloaded and then, over time, it's settled back.
Why not ask the question here:
http://www.fordgalaxy.org.uk/ford/index ... k-i-mk-ii/
Carpe diem

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:57 pm

Well, the garage only did the wheel balancing, they said they had a list of possible issues, but my dad wanted to try and keep the cost down to a minimum because it's going to be replaced with the camper before the end of next week, hopefully.

Return to “General Chat”