pulled over for going too slowly

Technology in driving is becoming more dominant...
akirk

pulled over for going too slowly

Postby akirk » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:30 am

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/g ... lowly.html

In the USA - driving at 24mph in a 35mph area

"The officer stopped the car and made contact with the operators to learn more about how the car was choosing speeds along certain roadways and to educate the operators about impeding traffic per 22400(a) of the California Vehicle Code [which says that cars should not drive so slowly that they impede traffic]," the police said.

However, the police said the vehicle was driving lawfully, given the speed limit.

if scientists are a long way off in developing good AI to replace human decisions, an autonomous car really can't make the subtle decisions a human would - so must stick with a 'safe' plan, as this confirms, that is not always ideal...

Alasdair

Jonquirk

Re: pulled over for going too slowly

Postby Jonquirk » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:03 pm

It was just following the guidelines from BRAKE: "I will avoid overtaking and always drive under the speed limit"

akirk

Postby akirk » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:32 pm

Jonquirk wrote:It was just following the guidelines from BRAKE: "I will avoid overtaking and always drive under the speed limit"

:D
Alasdair

TripleS

Postby TripleS » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:54 pm

North Yorkshire ploice once stopped me for driving at an unusually low speed: this was about five years ago.

I had left Scarborough at about 0100 and was doing a leisurely overnight drive down to Surrey, when a police van caught me up on the Malton by-pass (A64, dual carriageway), followed me for a few hundred yards, and then stopped me in a lay-by.

They said they had stopped me because I was driving at well under the speed limit, i.e. about 50-55 mph rather than 70 ish. I explained that I had a long way to go, but had plenty of time, hence the leisurely pace. Presumably they thought I was drunk. Anyhow they were quite happy with the situation and that was that.

I suppose it's a start in helping to balance out the two or three times I've been stopped (for 'words of advice' only) for being somewhat over the speed limit. 8-)

Pyrolol

Postby Pyrolol » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:49 am

The particular example linked above was of a vehicle that wasn't a 'proper car' and therefore legally limited to 25mph, and only allowed on certain roads (including the above).

(Specifically, it was a 'neighborhoor electric vehicle'; which doesn't have to go through the same approval process a conventional car does.)

WhoseGeneration

Postby WhoseGeneration » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:52 pm

Pyrolol wrote:The particular example linked above was of a vehicle that wasn't a 'proper car' and therefore legally limited to 25mph, and only allowed on certain roads (including the above).

(Specifically, it was a 'neighborhoor electric vehicle'; which doesn't have to go through the same approval process a conventional car does.)

Do they have a big sign on the rear explaining the above?

Return to “Technology”