Reg's Youtube Channel

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
IcedKiwi

Re: Reg's Youtube Channel

Postby IcedKiwi » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:43 am

StressedDave wrote: It's also a bit of a pain as you have to sync data with video afterward, which takes a bit of time...

Not sure how easy it would be to do with the data logger, but when syncing multiple cameras or microphones, it's useful to clap at the start when everything's up and running and then you have a very definitive point which you can line up when you bring the streams together. Maybe rev the engine before you set off then line up the audio with the rev counter? Or tap the accelerometer box with something metal so it pings to line up the audio with the g-spikes.
Again, not used it in this context so might not be so easy!

StressedDave

Postby StressedDave » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:04 pm

Actually, I just have a box with a LED that comes on when I start logging - way, way simpler to sync data than all that audio analysis stuff. Sometimes a simpler solution is best :lol: Also using a single camera is the way forward. No multiple P-in-P to muck up.
All posts are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License. Do what you like with it, just don't make money off it.

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:45 pm

IcedKiwi wrote: it's useful to clap at the start when everything's up and running and then you have a very definitive point which you can line up when you bring the streams together

I know, you could make a kind of board thing that would simulate the "clap" sound and synchronise it with the video - maybe the board would have two halves that shut together with a clapping noise, then you'd have a definite point where the video and sound were synchronised ...

Oh :oops:
Nick

StressedDave

Postby StressedDave » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:49 pm

Personally, I'm thinking of coconut shells - y'know, be kind to the environment and recycle. Also handy for impromptu Monty Python and the Holy Grail impressions.
All posts are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License. Do what you like with it, just don't make money off it.

IcedKiwi

Postby IcedKiwi » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:58 pm

I usually forget my film board when I go windsurfing, but could probably fashion some sort of harness out of string for the coconuts to hold them against my chest whilst I'm out on the water

R_U_LOCAL

Postby R_U_LOCAL » Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:30 pm

The next video is now online - changing gear in a car with a manual gearbox:

https://youtu.be/A4rs09AKBc8

I'm still learning and these first few attempts are very much "test pieces" as I work towards some more comprehensive videos, but they'll also serve as reference points when I'm covering more complex subjects (if you want to know how to change gear, see my earlier video, etc.).

The camera mount is new and improved & seems to have much less wobble & I improvised a Heath Robinson mount for my phone for the third camera.

As always, constructive criticism is more than welcome.
Reg Local - author of "Advanced & Performance Driving" http://tinyurl.com/qbxwocx

IcedKiwi

Postby IcedKiwi » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:10 am

Thanks - Another good video! The new mount is great, don't think you need to worry about it anymore! I think the intro music could be quieter - On both videos I've turned the volume down quickly when it starts but then had to turn it back up again once you've started talking.

ChristianAB

Postby ChristianAB » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:53 am

Really nice video. You will definitely have material for a dvd soon.

R_U_LOCAL

Postby R_U_LOCAL » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:10 pm

IcedKiwi wrote:Thanks - Another good video! The new mount is great, don't think you need to worry about it anymore! I think the intro music could be quieter - On both videos I've turned the volume down quickly when it starts but then had to turn it back up again once you've started talking.

Thanks for the feedback - I'll explore sound levels on my next one!

Might be a couple of weeks - I want to do an introduction to system, which might take a bit longer.
Reg Local - author of "Advanced & Performance Driving" http://tinyurl.com/qbxwocx

Carbon Based

Postby Carbon Based » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:51 pm

ChristianAB wrote:You will definitely have material for a dvd soon.

What's a dvd? ;)

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”