Driver jailed after filming himself driving at 192mph

Articles of interest to the AD community, currently in the news.
dvenman

Driver jailed after filming himself driving at 192mph

Postby dvenman » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:34 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-no ... e-34744459

Self explanatory...and 192mph while filming himself on his mobile phone !

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Re: Driver jailed after filming himself driving at 192mph

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:52 pm

The IAM cover themselves in horsesh*t again:

Neil Greig from the IAM wrote:Director of policy and research Neil Greig, said: "You simply cannot control a vehicle at that kind of speed on a normal road - he would have been covering about three miles a minute".

Yet Mr. Davis is still alive after apparently succeeding in controlling his vehicle - what went wrong? :shock:
Nick

Revian

Postby Revian » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:13 pm

Maybe Bedfordshire police should be giving him a medal for his contribution to their funds?
Ian

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:06 pm

Mr Davis appears to have driven his vehicle safely home into the bargain.
I'm not condoning what he did but the clipped statements of the IAM become more and more irritating.

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:46 pm

Neil Greig from the IAM wrote:Director of policy and research Neil Greig, said: "You simply cannot control a vehicle at that kind of speed on a normal road - he would have been covering about three miles a minute".

To cover three miles in a minute implies at minute at over 180 mph - was that the case, or did the IAM speaker exaggerate to make a better sound-bite?

People often talk about peak speed as if it were sustained for any significant length of time; how does the perception change if the peak speed is momentary?
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

TripleS

Postby TripleS » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:29 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:The IAM cover themselves in horsesh*t again:

Yet Mr. Davis is still alive after apparently succeeding in controlling his vehicle - what went wrong? :shock:

Indeed. Following a longish period in which Mr Greig was prone to talking complete hogwash, I thought he'd recently been sounding more sensible. Clearly I was wrong.

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:58 pm

I think the problem is, the IAM can't support high-speed driving because then the Average Joe will be less inclined to look at the IAM if it comes across as a institute which appears to encourage high-speed driving, because AJ wouldn't want to be associated with a club of 'dangerous' drivers.

The only way the IAM can go is to condemn any flagrant breach of speed limits, because that's the way society is going now.

true blue

Postby true blue » Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:56 pm

Rather than focus on the speed itself, they might do better to condemn the circumstances - lots of traffic, perhaps insufficient forward visibility depending on where the incident happened, expectations of other road users etc. To say nothing of the fact that he's paying more attention to his phone than the road!

One imagines that people in Germany regularly manage what would be obscene speeds here without incident. The roads and road users over there may support high speeds. Our country does not.

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:11 pm

true blue wrote:Rather than focus on the speed itself, they might do better to condemn the circumstances - lots of traffic, perhaps insufficient forward visibility depending on where the incident happened, expectations of other road users etc. To say nothing of the fact that he's paying more attention to his phone than the road!

Quite! I wouldn't be as bothered if the IAM spokesperson chap said something about how travelling at that speed would require the driver's full attention, which the driver has proved he is not doing, as he's operating a phone too.

true blue wrote:One imagines that people in Germany regularly manage what would be obscene speeds here without incident. The roads and road users over there may support high speeds. Our country does not.

But that would be because when the autobahns were introduced, they were introduced as a high speed road network, and I'm sure the German drivers have a better driver training system than we do.

However, when my parents went to Europe with their friends in the summer, they went on the autobahns and found that a lot of people tended to drive at about 130 - 140 km/h which is somewhere between 80ish and 90ish, so I dare say the average German driver probably wouldn't go much faster than the average UK driver would do if we were to remove the 70 limit on the motorway.

TripleS

Postby TripleS » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:52 am

TheInsanity1234 wrote:I think the problem is, the IAM can't support high-speed driving because then the Average Joe will be less inclined to look at the IAM if it comes across as a institute which appears to encourage high-speed driving, because AJ wouldn't want to be associated with a club of 'dangerous' drivers.

The only way the IAM can go is to condemn any flagrant breach of speed limits, because that's the way society is going now.

Not all of it - not this little bit of society!

It's not the only way the IAM can go. What they could say is something along the lines of:

"Advanced driving should include (but without being centred on) the ability to drive at high speed and do it safely, but the existence of the NSL excludes that, unless one is prepared to disregard that element of the law. While accepting that the law should be complied with, we therefore regret the constraint that the NSL imposes on the development of a fuller range of driving skills. The interests of road safety are, in our judgement, best served by encouraging road users to acquire and maintain a wide range of driving skills, and developing the ability to use them wisely and with a suitable measure of restraint according to the varying circumstances they encounter."

In my opinion the IAM made a fundamental mistake when they meekly accepted the imposition of the NSL and the philosophy of restrictions, rather than drver education, and in so doing they have clearly been complicit in devaluing the entire driving process, and that failing shows no sign of being remedied. It's time they removed the "Advanced" part of their name. :evil:

Return to “In The News”