Confessional

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
sussex2

Re: Confessional

Postby sussex2 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:53 am

TheInsanity1234 wrote:Despite the fact I've only been driving for 8 months or whatever, I've already racked up a fair list of near-misses and stupid moments, but each and every single one of them, I've learnt from.

For instance, there was one such near miss which happened during my Pass Plus, and basically, I was turning right out of an awkward T-junction and nearly 't-boned' a car coming from my left, and it was simply due to me failing to see it (although it was a bright red Mini...). But thanks to that incident, I've become much more cautious when turning out of junctions, and make a point of looking at least twice in each direction. Now, if I hadn't nearly hit that Mini, I'm not sure I would be equally as cautious at this time.

I have a bright yellow MX5 and long ago got used to people not seeing it. I drive with the same frame as mind as if I was on a motorbike and in any case or car never assume.
There is not a single day or time that I drive when I do not make some mistake; in fact I think I would be unwilling to get in a vehicle with a driver who would not admit the same.
To drive to a decent standard is constant self appraisal coupled with education and a willingness to learn.

Horse

Postby Horse » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:21 pm

sussex2 wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:Despite the fact I've only been driving for 8 months or whatever, I've already racked up a fair list of near-misses and stupid moments, but each and every single one of them, I've learnt from.

There is not a single day or time that I drive when I do not make some mistake; in fact I think I would be unwilling to get in a vehicle with a driver who would not admit the same.
To drive to a decent standard is constant self appraisal coupled with education and a willingness to learn.

There's an important point here: the willingness to look for errors and then take responsibility for them.

Lack of 'locus of control' leads to "It wasn't my fault" attitude.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:27 pm

I've never once had an incident where I didn't contribute at least partly to it.

fengpo

Postby fengpo » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:00 pm

Playtent wrote:
fengpo wrote:The biggest lesson that can be taken from the drive, is you realise the drive could of been better. Reflective practice is the best method of learning. I get in my car sometimes and drive a bad drive. I like to learn from it then start again, in the hope the next drive will be better.

Thankyou Father Conor for your words of advice. ;)

My pleasure :)

titian

Postby titian » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:47 pm

During working days I navigate a right turn out of a rat run into the major road. Traffic is often turning in from my left. On a couple of occasions I have been lucky not to drive out into the path of a vehicle turning into my road and across the nose of my car, it being masked by my "A" pillar. My solution, look right, say "clear" (if appropriate), look left, say "clear" - rinse and repeat. No near misses now!

Triquet

Postby Triquet » Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:03 pm

We have a stinky junction in our village:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Ste ... d445?hl=en

In the morning there is a lot of North / South traffic, plus traffic queues up to get out of the Hanney Road (Southbound). Trying to turn right out of the Causeway can be a nightmare because as soon a slight opportunity presents itself, something hoons out of the Hanney Road as well ... an interesting exercise in observation.

WhoseGeneration

Postby WhoseGeneration » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:30 pm

Triquet wrote:We have a stinky junction in our village:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Ste ... d445?hl=en

In the morning there is a lot of North / South traffic, plus traffic queues up to get out of the Hanney Road (Southbound). Trying to turn right out of the Causeway can be a nightmare because as soon a slight opportunity presents itself, something hoons out of the Hanney Road as well ... an interesting exercise in observation.

That's where left left then right into a side road to turn round then exit left to continue journey can be useful.

Keithrm

Postby Keithrm » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:17 pm

For instance, there was one such near miss which happened during my Pass Plus, and basically, I was turning right out of an awkward T-junction and nearly 't-boned' a car coming from my left, and it was simply due to me failing to see it (although it was a bright red Mini...). But thanks to that incident, I've become much more cautious when turning out of junctions, and make a point of looking at least twice in each direction. Now, if I hadn't nearly hit that Mini, I'm not sure I would be equally as cautious at this time.

Fixations and saccades...the second is deadly we need more of the first :?

Return to “General Chat”