Planning a weekend driving trip to Scotland

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
fengpo

Planning a weekend driving trip to Scotland

Postby fengpo » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:24 pm

Afternoon all,

Any one have any suggestions of good driving roads in bonnie Scotland? I've done the usual ph and Evo search, something more unusual would be sweet.

I'll be going in a few weeks, not worried about loops to make the drive interesting. I think I'll drive through the night to save on being stuck in traffic.

I'll post dates etc when I have them finalised in case anyone is around and wants to go for a drive :)

Thanks,

Conor

gannet

Re: Planning a weekend driving trip to Scotland

Postby gannet » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:34 pm

not sure I've ever encountered a bad road in Scotland...

akirk

Postby akirk » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:29 pm

Stay off the main arterial routes eg A9 which is pretty much all average speed cameras - avoid tourist areas where the police might be - drive roads twice, once to learn them, once to enjoy them...
Alasdair

fengpo

Postby fengpo » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:14 pm

akirk wrote:Stay off the main arterial routes eg A9 which is pretty much all average speed cameras - avoid tourist areas where the police might be - drive roads twice, once to learn them, once to enjoy them...
Alasdair

I haven't really done an itinerary for the trip quite yet, but the old military road seems good fun. I can stay in Blairgowrie I think. I'll sit down and work it all out thoroughly.

IcedKiwi

Postby IcedKiwi » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:39 pm

Old Military road is good, my brother lives in Aberdeen and says that it's his favourite. There's the classic Bealach na Ba pass to Applecross, although can be weather dependant. The circular route around Loch Leven to Kinlochleven is good, as it's basically a road to nowhere so even less traffic than everywhere else. Apparently it's best taken clockwise and can easily do another lap if time allows.
There's also the "North Coast 500" which is promoted as Scotland's answer to Route 66 and has got a new website showing the route and points of interest along the way.
A lot of driving to fit it in a weekend!

A couple of my friends did a weekend with Highland Caterham Hire - Flew to Aberdeen from Gatwick, got a cheap rental to Elgin to pick up a couple of Caterhams and then 2 days rental over to the west coast and around the top. Had a great time!

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:10 pm

fengpo wrote:old military road seems good fun.

Make sure you turn north at Crathie onto the B976 in thick fog - heaps of fun, (or it was, in early September).
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

jont-

Postby jont- » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:21 am

IcedKiwi wrote:A couple of my friends did a weekend with Highland Caterham Hire - Flew to Aberdeen from Gatwick, got a cheap rental to Elgin to pick up a couple of Caterhams and then 2 days rental over to the west coast and around the top. Had a great time!

Just watch the mileage limits. Most are ~100-150 a day, and up there you can manage that before breakfast :lol:

Keithrm

Postby Keithrm » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:13 pm

Glencoe, just think of skyfall, done this a few times, enjoyable ;)

StressedDave

Postby StressedDave » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:27 pm

But policed to hell and large chunks of it are boringly straight...

Glenshee is very good provided there's not a huge amount of snow and you've got myriad cars heading to the ski centre at the top.
All posts are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License. Do what you like with it, just don't make money off it.

fengpo

Postby fengpo » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:30 pm

All suggestions, sound good thanks all. I'll make my accommodation bookings etc on Saturday. I can work out my route to include as many fun roads as I can then :)

Return to “General Chat”