Who's done their HGV test then?

Topics relating to Advanced Driving on anything that is not a car or bike, from lorries to vans, buses to hovercrafts...
Synchromesh

Who's done their HGV test then?

Postby Synchromesh » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:33 pm

Just wondered if anyone here has any HGV experience. I'm thinking of doing my HGV test for no other reason than that it sounds fun (yes, we all have different ideas of fun ;) ).

Rick448

Re: Who's done their HGV test then?

Postby Rick448 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:50 pm

I've done mine. Many years ago and also instructed LGV's for a while. I wouldn't want to drive one for a living though.

WhoseGeneration

Postby WhoseGeneration » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:23 pm

Synchromesh wrote:Just wondered if anyone here has any HGV experience. I'm thinking of doing my HGV test for no other reason than that it sounds fun (yes, we all have different ideas of fun ;) ).

It'd be ok for fun, if that's what floats your boat and I can appreciate that but it's an awful way of earning a living. Much due to UK Governments which haven't had and don't have a clue about the road haulage industry.
Just look at the age of most LGV drivers, few young ones.

akirk

Postby akirk » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:30 pm

It can I think be very expensive - consider joining the army or fire brigade to get them to pay for you :)

Alasdair

Rick448

Postby Rick448 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:46 pm

akirk wrote:It can I think be very expensive - consider joining the army or fire brigade to get them to pay for you :)

Alasdair

We now pay about £1000 for a class C. (Old class 2 licence.) joining the army is a bit drastic :mrgreen: and the fire brigade isn't easy to join, at least whole time. My old service haven't recruited for 8 years. Retained service is a possibility but you're unlikely to get a course for a while. Maybe join the police mounted section and drive the horse box ;)

Synchromesh

Postby Synchromesh » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:57 pm

No plans to drive for a living, or join the army for that matter!

I could be a bit ballsy about it and have a day's training then go in for test (costing me maybe £4-500 all in). All the HGV schools have advised against, recommending a week or so's course (£1k++), but then again it's in their commercial interest to...

akirk

Postby akirk » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:04 pm

Rick448 wrote:
akirk wrote:It can I think be very expensive - consider joining the army or fire brigade to get them to pay for you :)

Alasdair

We now pay about £1000 for a class C. (Old class 2 licence.) joining the army is a bit drastic :mrgreen: and the fire brigade isn't easy to join, at least whole time. My old service haven't recruited for 8 years. Retained service is a possibility but you're unlikely to get a course for a while. Maybe join the police mounted section and drive the horse box ;)

Ahh that is cheaper than I thought :) might have to try it :)
mounted section - was just thinking about that today in London where to WPCs were riding down the Mall, and all the cars (drivers!) were scared of going anywhere near them :) they were having to wave people past... I quite fancy doing that...

Alasdair

true blue

Postby true blue » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:37 pm

You fancy being a WPC waving at cars? Just on the weekends, or is it a complete lifestyle change?

akirk

Postby akirk » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:58 pm

true blue wrote:You fancy being a WPC waving at cars? Just on the weekends, or is it a complete lifestyle change?

who said anything about a change :D

actually it was more the idea of mooching around London on horseback in the company of WPCs that appealed :D

Alasdair

angus

Postby angus » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:57 pm

Working in some industries, there are scholarships for HGV training. My daughter was working in an equestrian yard during her gap year and had the opportunity to apply for HGV training (didn't go for it tho')

Return to “Advanced Driving - Other”