Block Changes - How Many Do You Miss?

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
Gareth

Re: Block Changes - How Many Do You Miss?

Postby Gareth » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:00 pm

I like grouping hazards, probably mentioned it, because sometimes you can make a single set of actions do both or all, less effort! However sometimes it's counter-productive and leads to a less nice outcome.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

Horse

Postby Horse » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:01 pm

I may have heard it from the MSF, one the areas covered under positioning (bikes, as a benefit of narrow width relative to the lane). One example is approaching a junction on the left where there are two other vehicles waiting, one to turn out the other turn across.

One option is to choose a central line, mid-way between the two hazards. An alternative is to manage the situation by allowing one vehicle to turn so that you can then position further away from the remaining vehicle. Separation by time or distance.

Another would be a blind junction on the outside of a tight right bend. In addition to the bend, there's real possibility of vehicles emerging (even if only trying to get a view) or an oncoming vehicle wanting to turn across.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

ancient

Postby ancient » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:54 pm

Gareth wrote:If I accelerate briskly, I hold the low gears until peak power (or so) then up one, repeatedly. At the speed limit, block up to highest that works for that speed and the conditions.

Some block-up before reaching their desired speed, which just takes more time and reduces progress. Makes me wonder if they are just following the pattern rather than understanding why and when; if they are not getting on with it, does holding a lower gear for longer confer any advantage?

Reduces progress?
I frequently come off a roundabout in third at 30-ish and accelerate to 70 then change into 6th. I am certainly going beyond peak power, but the time taken to change through two intermediate gears is saved and it pulls to NSL well enough to pull away from most of the people who have been trying to sit on my tail and push past in the roundabout (who appear to be taking time to change one gear at a time, as they drop back in two stages).
It's probably important on vehicles with a narrower, steeper power curve. On a standard modern car like a Nissan Pulsar it certainly seems quicker to just hold the lower gear.

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:14 pm

ancient wrote:Reduces progress?

The sort of sequence I meant was accelerate in third up until, say, 55 then block change up a couple of gears then continuing to accelerate to 70. So, starting off with quite a bit of acceleration, changing up, then less acceleration.

LenWoodman55

Postby LenWoodman55 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:02 am

With an 18-speed Road Ranger --- I miss as many as I can!

AndyP

Postby AndyP » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:44 am

The teachings were:-

THE 4 UPS
Get UP to the speed limit
Catch UP with the vehicle in front
Get UP to the speed you want.
Lastly block change UP to the highest available you need/want/capable of.

[Obviously without engine damage, or block changing up to 6th at 30 in a 70 with following traffic, losing power, out of the power/torque band etc etc]
It is not WHAT you drive, BUT:-- the WAY that you drive it.
It is not HOW fast you drive, BUT:-- HOW you drive fast.

Cheers Andy

Ray Mott

Postby Ray Mott » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:37 pm

It can be interesting in a HGV. A few years back I was driving a loaded 26T woodchip truck with a weird semi-auto box. It had a clutch pedal, but you had to click the gear selector lever, then press and release the clutch - you often had to click twice to get a full rather than half gear (it was supposed to remove driver error) - also you had to take your time releasing the clutch or it would dangerously drop into neutral! However I discovered a further big problem with it - I was going downhill on the A22 towards the Ann Summers roundabout and was slowing in good time. I made the mistake of slowing on momentum, using the gear selector then cluch - the stupid computer selected 2! - Nearly setting fire to the clutch. After that I sussed you needed to look at the gear the idiot gearbox wanted and click the selector several times for the appropriate gear - what a PITA it was - hated that box as you had to totally adapt your driving style to suit the gearbox!

Pumafan

Postby Pumafan » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:04 pm

On fire at Ann Summers? Let's call it Wapses Lodge, eh?

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:21 am

AndyP wrote:The teachings were:-

Thanks, that's really helpful.

Ray Mott

Postby Ray Mott » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:07 pm

Pumafan wrote:On fire at Ann Summers? Let's call it Wapses Lodge, eh?

Could not recall the name of it - at least you knew where I meant, LOL.

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”