Warning triangles to be replaced..

Advanced Driving across Europe
sussex2

Warning triangles to be replaced..

Postby sussex2 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:31 am

Only a proposal at the moment and there will be a long lead in time.

https://n332.es/2019/03/24/warning-tria ... -replaced/

Horse

Re: Warning triangles to be replaced..

Postby Horse » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:39 am

Ah, 'audible warning devices'!

When you hear the Bang! as it gets run over, jump for the verge.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

waremark

Postby waremark » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:52 pm

Is that Spain which currently requires you to carry 2 triangles? I don't think the UK has a legal requirement to carry even 1 - Do we?

I like the idea of a warning flasher on the roof as an alternative- but worry that it would be out of battery when needed, and about where it would be stored in the car. .

akirk

Postby akirk » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:32 pm

waremark wrote:Is that Spain which currently requires you to carry 2 triangles? I don't think the UK has a legal requirement to carry even 1 - Do we?

I like the idea of a warning flasher on the roof as an alternative- but worry that it would be out of battery when needed, and about where it would be stored in the car. .

I have had some of those warning flashing units since they first came out - must be 20 years now as I had an IAM offer giving me a discount!
They are brilliant - you can drive over them / they have a variety of flashes / they float / they are magnetic / they are small and easy to carry - and I am yet to have to change a battery...

Alasdair

Horse

Postby Horse » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:33 pm

Well, 30+ of these get hit every year:

So good luck with a little LED flashing :)

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:34 pm

waremark wrote:Is that Spain which currently requires you to carry 2 triangles? I don't think the UK has a legal requirement to carry even 1 - Do we?

Yes and two are required and they are generally used - you rarely 'suddenly' come across a broken down vehicle unless through your own inattention. The two triangles generally come in a neat zippered carrier vecro'd to the inside of the luggage compartment. The new device would take up perhaps less space and could use the same container.
The requirement for spare spectacles and bulbs has gone; you must however carry all relevant documents, or notarised copies, in the vehicle at all times plus your licence...often forgotten by UK visitors.

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:47 pm

Horse wrote:Ah, 'audible warning devices'!

I think it is designed to be placed on top of the vehicle - the reason being to avoid having to walk back 50metres to place it in the road.

Horse

Postby Horse » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:43 pm

sussex2 wrote:
Horse wrote:Ah, 'audible warning devices'!

I think it is designed to be placed on top of the vehicle - the reason being to avoid having to walk back 50metres to place it in the road.

See the image I posted of an IPV before being hit, they are 4m or higher, with strobes visible from -literally - a mile away.

Ok, positive point, being at roof height may help them be seen, but don't rely on it. My unofficial advice would be to lift your boot lid / tailgate and stick it (assuming magnetic) on there. Two reasons: seen over other vehicles; visual cue that your vehicle is stopped.

Next: get away from the vehicle. If there's a barrier, get behind it, ideally 2m back to allow for deformation if impacted. Stand where you can see the rear of your vehicle, if it's hit then you probably don't want to be run over by both the errant vehicle and - insult to injury - your own too.

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:42 pm

When I've acted as a Commissaire for road bike races I would have flashing lights and a sign on the roof of my car. They are magnetically connected but I invariably scratched the roof when taking them off. :evil:

Return to “Europe”