The most difficult aspect of Advanced Driving

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
Gareth

Re: The most difficult aspect of Advanced Driving

Postby Gareth » Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:42 pm

jont- wrote:
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:Aha, Nick's mantra #1 - when it feels a bit too slow, it's probably about right.

I'm sure you've borrowed that from someone else ;) /no, not me

I first heard this comment from someone who, so far as I know, doesn't frequent this forum. This was in the context of a discussion in which he and I were trying to make sense of what StressedDave had been telling us.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

StressedDave

Postby StressedDave » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:33 pm

I think I first heard it from Huge back in 1993.
All posts are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License. Do what you like with it, just don't make money off it.

ChristianAB

Postby ChristianAB » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:15 pm

It's really hard to isolate the most difficult aspect of AD: I have struggled and am still struggling with so much...
So after much soul searching, it has to be the gear change in my 370z.

In the end, after 7000 miles, I figured that I was trying to change gears too much and too often. I also have to be very mindful of my revs, of whether the engine is hot or cold (from the oil temp), of whether 1st gear is involved or not, and so on...at all time. It's been very tough but at least, it's getting much better now.

waremark

Postby waremark » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:09 am

ChristianAB wrote:It's really hard to isolate the most difficult aspect of AD: I have struggled and am still struggling with so much...
So after much soul searching, it has to be the gear change in my 370z.

Do you have /use auto blip?

StressedDave

Postby StressedDave » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:16 am

It has auto blip - he doesn't use it. Or at least he didn't when I was sat along side.
All posts are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License. Do what you like with it, just don't make money off it.

ChristianAB

Postby ChristianAB » Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:46 pm

Yeah, ...no pain, no gain! How can I EVER learn to shift properly if I use auto-blip?
I had some courses at a French business school, and there was a name for that type of features, I can approximately translate it into 'Ego Massaging'.

Basically, I'm happy that my car has auto blip, because it probably means that more people will buy it, which means that I can have it for less money. However, I am in favour of 'driving my car', not 'being driven by it'. Just my predilection. Even if it means some pain down the road. The pride, pleasure and satisfaction will only be fuller at the end.
Last edited by ChristianAB on Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jont-

Postby jont- » Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:47 pm

ChristianAB wrote:I had some courses at a French business school, and there was a name for that type of features, I can approximately translate it into 'Porsche'.

/efa :twisted:

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:05 pm

Never seen a manual Porker with an "auto-blip" feature? (but then I haven't driven any very new ones).
Nick

jont-

Postby jont- » Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:08 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:Never seen a manual Porker with an "auto-blip" feature? (but then I haven't driven any very new ones).

I was thinking more generally of cars that flattered :P
/and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiOSNFdPpbs

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:12 pm

I'm trying to keep a sense of humour about this, but you're getting tedious now.

Yes, I agree, you can buy gizmos that make the car flattering (I wasn't aware of the purpose of "Sport Chrono") - but is that a reason to be constantly knocking Porsches?

If you can change gear seamlessly in mine, then you're doing pretty well, especially from 4th to 3rd, or 3rd to 2nd :twisted:
Nick

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”