Smart Motorways

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
Strangely Brown

Re: Smart Motorways

Postby Strangely Brown » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:53 am

Horse wrote:
Strangely Brown wrote:I refer the honourable gentleman to my earlier response.

So how would the non-t.i.c part be achieved?

Nope. You've lost me. Perhaps something a little less cryptic might get the sort of response you are looking for?

crr003

Postby crr003 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:19 pm

martine wrote:
kfae8959 wrote:[...I adopt a "burn and coast" approach to try to maximise progress - I'll move to lane n, drive between the gantries at an indicated 70 - 75, then lift to meet the posted limit at each point of possible enforcement. That this option is left open seems to me to undermine the idea behind the scheme altogether. Why is there not average speed enforcement?

Smart motorways often have average speed cameras...your 'burn and coast' method could still trigger them.

Huh? Those cameras mounted over each lane? The ones that flash? They are not average cameras are they - is this some NDORS scaremongering?

Horse

Postby Horse » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:37 pm

Strangely Brown wrote:
Horse wrote:
Strangely Brown wrote:I refer the honourable gentleman to my earlier response.

So how would the non-t.i.c part be achieved?

Nope. You've lost me. Perhaps something a little less cryptic might get the sort of response you are looking for?

Perhaps re-read what *you* posted to save me the trouble of one-finger typing "partly tongue in cheek"? ;)

Or, since you need me to work to get your answer to the nation's traffic congestion, I'll add: pretty please :)
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:24 pm

IME they do work. Not everyone drives like a kn*b. The M42 around Birmingham has been improved greatly since the introduction of variable speed limits. On other motorways perhaps it's still taking time to become the norm to obey (more or less).

Re refuges, I could count on the fingers of one hand, the number of times I remember seeing them in use. CRR003's experience will, of course, be vastly different :P
Nick

crr003

Postby crr003 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:29 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:Re refuges, I could count on the fingers of one hand, the number of times I remember seeing them in use. CRR003's experience will, of course, be vastly different :P

A long time ago now. None of that refuge malarky in my day; proper motorways.

vanman

Postby vanman » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:26 pm

Horse wrote:A long time ago now. None of that refuge malarky in my day; proper motorways.

M6 Preston by-pass, those were the days. Of course not much could do 70 for long nevermind derestricted. :D
Last edited by Mr Cholmondeley-Warner on Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fix quote markers

Horse

Postby Horse » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:47 pm

Refuges do get used, and often abused - truckers taking tacho breaks is common.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

RiK

Postby RiK » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:50 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:IME they do work. Not everyone drives like a kn*b. The M42 around Birmingham has been improved greatly since the introduction of variable speed limits. On other motorways perhaps it's still taking time to become the norm to obey (more or less).

I agree, as has the area around the M4/M5 interchange at Bristol.
Richard Olpin: Bristol IAM: Training Officer, IAM: Masters (Dist), IMI National Observer, LOA. Gloucestershire Constabulary SC6240.

martine

Postby martine » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:57 am

kfae8959 wrote:I've seen plenty of average speed enforcement in the roadworks to convert motorways to "managed" or "smart". I don't think I've come across it on completed stretches...

https://gosafe.org/education/campaigns/m4-average-speed-cameras/

I believe a stretch of the M1 has them as well...as does the M32 near me.
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

Jonquirk

Postby Jonquirk » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:55 pm

There are average speed cameras on the M3 westbound between junction 2 (M25) and junction 3 (Lightwater).

Return to “General Chat”