No more classic cars allowed on motorways!

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
Horse

No more classic cars allowed on motorways!

Postby Horse » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:23 am

Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

akirk

Re: No more classic cars allowed on motorways!

Postby akirk » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:36 am

I am not sure that public opinion really prevents it - there is a pretty standard disregard for the 70mph limit at present - all you would have to do is remind folks that basically they won't be booked for speeding as they are now and most will think that is a good idea... the speed at which people drive on a motorway tends to be a figure based on comfort / speed of others around them / car / their capability etc. - actual speed limit is a minor part of that...

as for classic cars not being allowed on - scaremongering as Autonomous cars are a huge way off and have to be able to deal with other road users, so a) we are not ready for them and b) if they can't cope with a non-autonomous car then they will not be up to spec.

Alasdair

dvenman

Postby dvenman » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:49 am

The line from the article for me is

He said that there are parts of the network that would be able to cope with the increase, dependant on the driver's skill.

Increase the speed limit by all means, but not without a concomitant increase in driver skills.

jont-

Postby jont- » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:54 am

Just like some roads have bus lanes (and in the US, high occupancy lanes), I can see in the future we may have lanes on motorways that are only for autonomous vehicles (Eg to allow platooning). They'll still have to cope with idiots getting in the way though.

As for 70 vs 80, I think m'way speeds even in clear traffic are lower than they were 15 or so years ago. I don't know if this is fear of enforcement, or people concerned about economy, so increasing the limit may not make much difference.

I'd sooner see all the 50s removed from roads that should be NSL.

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:33 am

When 80 on motorways was mentioned a couple of years back, the bit most people missed was 'Where it could be enforced'. You'd have the same here, so only implemented on smart motorways. If the current enforcement threshold was maintained, that would me tickets @90mph. And given that (if it's not changed) 95 and up was a court appearance and 100+ is a ban, then I doubt it would really make much difference.

By default, smart conversions are only put in to increase capability - i.e. where congestion is likely - so opportunities for 80 to be displayed might be rare!

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:19 am

The 70 limit was introduced at a time when we had crossply tyres and drum brakes few heaters and proper demisters; plus cavalier attitudes to drinking and driving and the safety of others.
Times have changed and other countries (Spain that I know of) are also thinking of increasing the limit on selected motorways.

jont-

Postby jont- » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:30 am

sussex2 wrote:The 70 limit was introduced at a time when we had crossply tyres and drum brakes few heaters and proper demisters; plus cavalier attitudes to drinking and driving and the safety of others.
Times have changed and other countries (Spain that I know of) are also thinking of increasing the limit on selected motorways.

Cars might be better, but I suspect because of that many drivers are paying /much/ less attention to what's going on outside the car.

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:53 am

jont- wrote:
sussex2 wrote:The 70 limit was introduced at a time when we had crossply tyres and drum brakes few heaters and proper demisters; plus cavalier attitudes to drinking and driving and the safety of others.

Cars might be better, but I suspect because of that many drivers are paying /much/ less attention to what's going on outside the car.

The rates of injury and death on the roads has reduced and done so substantially. I do not believe this is all down to secondary safety and that some of it at least must be for other reasons.
I think those reasons are many and various but not limited to improved driving tests and road engineering; perhaps a more humanitarian idea of looking at the most vulnerable on the roads and Europe wide initiatives to reduce casualties. In addition I would like to think that we all care for one another just a little bit better.

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:18 pm

sussex2 wrote:
jont- wrote: Cars might be better, but I suspect because of that many drivers are paying /much/ less attention to what's going on outside the car.

The rates of injury and death on the roads has reduced and done so substantially. I do not believe this is all down to secondary safety and that some of it at least must be for other reasons.
I think those reasons are many and various but not limited to improved driving tests and road engineering; perhaps a more humanitarian idea of looking at the most vulnerable on the roads and Europe wide initiatives to reduce casualties. In addition I would like to think that we all care for one another just a little bit better.

Apart from engineering*, there's at least two sides to this:

- Smeed; Smeed's Law, named after R. J. Smeed, who first proposed the relationship in 1949, is an empirical rule relating traffic fatalities to traffic congestion as measured by the proxy of motor vehicle registrations and country population. The law proposes that increasing traffic volume (an increase in motor vehicle registrations) leads to an increase in fatalities per capita, but a decrease in fatalities per vehicle.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smeed%27s_law

- Hazard Perception Test; 11% drop in non-low speed crashes

* I think there was a recent news item saying that transplant surgery is in trouble because crash survival rates have gone up

Return to “General Chat”