Just pondering

Topics relating to Advanced Riding on bikes
TheInsanity1234

Just pondering

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:32 pm

Hello.

As folks here know, I'm profoundly deaf.

Now I was lazily perusing these forums as I do like the idea of getting a motorbike purely for fun when I'm older. No commuting on a bike for me, if I'm doing a boring journey regularly I'll take something with air con and a comfy seat thanks!

But anyway, as a profoundly deaf person, what things would I have to do differently compared to a typical bike rider when taking into account my lack of hearing.

In a car, there's nothing that really needs an ability to hear, I can only think of three scenarios when driving where the lack of hearing may be a disadvantage in a car, and they are:
-inability to hear when the car is making unusual noises
-inability to hear engine for purpose of rev-matching
-inability to hear approaching vehicles at a junction with very poor views of the road I'm joining.

Now these issues would be the same on a bike, but are there any further things I'd have to consider?

I won't be on a bike for at least 5 years, so this is all academic anyway but I'm just curious!

GTR1400MAN

Re: Just pondering

Postby GTR1400MAN » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:46 pm

We all wear ear plugs ... well most of us do.

They don't block everything, but a big percentage.

Are you completely silent or would you be able to still sense wind roar, vibration, etc.? One of my colleagues who rides is very deaf when he removes his aids to wear a helmet. It doesn't seem to affect his riding. Obviously I can't imagine your situation, but I'm sure if there's no balance issues you'll be fine. A lot of riding a bike is feel. The issues you have driving a car will be similar on a bike.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:17 pm

I'm profoundly deaf, so my hearing loss is in excess of 81 dB. I think it stands at 90 to 95 dB currently. That means with my hearing aids, I just hear, what I call, environmental sounds such as cars, wind roar, etc etc. Without my hearing aids, I'm about as deaf as the proverbial post.

Consequently, if I remove my hearing aids to go riding, I'll have pretty much no hearing at all.

Horse

Postby Horse » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:31 pm

Serious Q: do you have any other issues that are related, such as balance?
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:48 pm

Horse wrote:Serious Q: do you have any other issues that are related, such as balance?

No, I'm one of the lucky ones. My deafness affects my hearing exclusively, and doesn't cause any issues in other areas. I can ride a bicycle perfectly well!

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:47 am

I have only taught one deaf person to ride from scratch. His sister came along to every session to translate into sign language.

It was actually a fascinating experience for me, I ended up with about 30 pages of notes (sketches, diagrams, etc.) which were used to support the verbal-signed instruction. It might be worth searching around to find others who have recommendations for suitable trainers.

There is a fair amount of crossover between bike and car advanced driving principles, so improving in the car will pay dividends if you do decide to go ahead.

It's physically harder work, and mentally far harder than driving (stop a car? Stamp on B & C pedals. On a bike you have factor in balance, maintaining control, which foot to put down, etc. even in an emergency stop).

Oh - you can't afford to be riding tired either, so get that sorted ;)

Triquet

Postby Triquet » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:04 am

Not completely on thread, but I (like many others I suspect) started on two wheels (scooter, then motorbike) before "graduating"to four wheels. I suspect that this is easier than trying to trying to learn bike after car. Anybody got any views on this?

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:04 am

Yes, see my earlier'workload' post.

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:04 pm

I can certainly understand that learning to ride on a bike, then learning to drive a car is probably much easier than learning car, then learning bike.

I've often fancied the idea of riding a bike, as the lower running costs coupled with a 'park anywhere' ability would suit some of my journeys - however I couldn't use it as daily transport, as I have a hearing dog that goes everywhere with me, and last time I checked, there's not much safety stuff for motorbikes which would enable me to transport a dog!

Although a motorbike with a sidecar is an idea, but then you get all the negatives of bike riding (low crash protection, no weather protection), coupled with all the negatives of driving a car (wide wheelbase so no filtering) so not much point there.

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:50 pm

There's no really going to be much of a saving if you still need to run a car alongside!

Bike purchase and depreciation
Gear (helmet, boots, gloves, not, trs, etc.)
Insurance
Training & tests

And then there's running costs ...

Servicing 3-5000 miles, tyres similar (and both more expensive than car)

Money saving? No :)

Return to “Advanced Driving - Bikes”