Building Cars Live

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Building Cars Live

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:59 pm

Was anyone else (well I know two members who were) seriously disappointed by this programme last night? It could have been very interesting, but I thought it was spoilt by a lowest common denominator approach, and far too strong a resemblance to Spring/Autumn/Paintdrying Watch.

I turned over at 8 p.m. to watch vets and animals which was far more interesting (imho). Did anyone watch the whole thing?
Nick

Revian

Re: Building Cars Live

Postby Revian » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:48 pm

Agreed Nick.... Dumbed down would be a compliment. I got annoyed when one of the workers was just used and then ignored to move on. Turned to catch-up TV for Lewis.... :D

Ian
Ian

Adamxck

Postby Adamxck » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:52 pm

Some of the VT's were interesting but all of the live stuff was terrible.
Adam.

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:44 am

Dumbed down and insulting to anyone who can think.
I took about ten minutes of it before switching the TV off.

M1ke H

Postby M1ke H » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:00 pm

Fascinating insight behind the scenes and the logistics supporting the whole operation - which are seriously impressive.

A wasted TV opportunity though as the presenters were fairly dire. Humble and May were certainly over enthusiastic to the point of cringeworthy, and James May was constantly speaking over the workers he was talking to. The constant cutting away to other presenters after a minute or two never gave time to get into the subject and, as others have said, it all ended up appearing seriously dumbed down.

jont-

Postby jont- » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:21 pm

M1ke H wrote:Fascinating insight behind the scenes and the logistics supporting the whole operation - which are seriously impressive.

Haven't watched it yet, and given the reviews not sure I'll bother :(

My brother worked at Toyota in Derby for a while helping with operations. ISTR him saying that "just-in-time" for the parts deliveries could even result in helicopter courier if the alternative was a production line stop :lol:

chriskay

Postby chriskay » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:43 am

I did watch both episodes, mainly because during the last ten years of my working life I was in and out of pretty well all British car factories, including Cowley, servicing test equipment in their labs. I remember first meeting the concept of Kaizen at Nissan in the 1990's and it was fascinating to sit with the production workers at lunch and hearing them discussing how tasks might be improved.
I thought the programmes were fairly dire and could have used a bit of Kaizen. For me, a low point was when Kate Humble, who is known for presenting country programmes, referred to "200 square acres".
Carpe diem

martine

Postby martine » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:06 pm

Yes I 'forced' myself to watch both 90 min episodes. It had occasional good bits and I thought James May was fun but yes, Kate was dire with her OTT enthusiasm and childish questions. They seemed to repeat some explanations of several things ("Body in White, 'Just in Time' etc) both during the pieces to camera and the VT and in 2 x 90 mins could have gone into things in much more depth.

I was surprised they didn't follow 'their red mini' more closely (kept referring to it being 'over there somewhere') and unforgivably they completely missed it coming off the end of the production line as a program finale. Poor production of what could have been a really interesting and informative program...not like the BBC at all.
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

akirk

Postby akirk » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:08 pm

just watched both episodes (based on the recommendation on here ;)) - enjoyed it, as others have said it could have been much stronger, but I didn't feel the same weaknesses other mentioned in all cases - e.g. the issue of following the red mini was slightly at odds with doing it 'live' - in fact the whole live concept didn't really work - if you are going to do that it should have been structured differently - perhaps with repeated shorter periods through the day... I think the failing if any was that it was neither a proper documentary, nor a real live follow of the process, but still good fun to watch in a mindless kind of way :)

Alasdair

Return to “General Chat”