Welcome & Approach

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
WhoseGeneration

Re: Welcome & Approach

Postby WhoseGeneration » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:11 pm

Hello and thanks to "drivingood" for their post on PH in AD forum, which directed me here.
I'd watched the developments on ADUK without making comment because I was not sure what to say. Whilst respecting what Darren had to say about his reasons I did think that, perhaps, he could have said this previously and asked the membership whether anyone wanted to take ownership of the 'site before selling to the new owner.
Whilst thinking about all this it did occur to me that the true home of AD on public roads, recognising that it can be enjoyed, is HPC. That led me to think that, possibly, that club should become a bit more "open" and, perhaps, have a non members forum for discussion of AD.
Anyways, I see that the new owner of ADUK is thinking of having a competition driving forum and has posted a picture of his 205 n/s wheels in air.
Why?, ADUK was about public road driving, plenty of other 'sites about competition driving, or is this just to try to gain acceptance?
Then, for me, as others, it's the BRAKE connection that sours it.

akirk

Postby akirk » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:24 pm

I think he is looking for common ground 'petrolhead' status - and I understand that... It is a difficult place for him, he has made the decision based on commercial decisions which don't really involve the forum directly - it is about the ADUK brand credibility and the link juice in SEO terms of the non-forum parts of the website.

I think that he has probably misunderstood AD as it is seen within the ADUK forum - we need to remember that for many people IAM / RoSPA is where it is at for AD and it is simply someone who has an interest in driving beyond the initial test - whereas on ADUK there is a much wider understanding of AD and all it encompasses...

If you take that much narrower understanding of AD, then his business proposition makes a lot of sense, there is a good match with corporate responsibility & risk management - the Brake link also makes sense from that commercial perspective - corporate sponsorship is good - tick / safety and concern over accident reduction is good - tick / encouraging people to actively be safer and drive better is good = tick... it just misses the understanding of what AD is really about - but then we should be familiar with that misunderstanding... I think the discord comes from his not recognising that ADUK was / is a forum which a much deeper understanding and therefore not a direct match for what he does...

regarding the home of AD discussion - my belief is that there is a lot of value in the organisations such as IAM / RoSPA / HPC / etc. and indeed I am and have been a part of several, however I think there is a very strong case for an independent home for discussion which is not any of them - it allows there to be criticism and praise, discussion and disagreement as needed, without any conflict of interest, there will always be overlap of membership and that is fine, but the true value of ADUK was in its independence, and Rob & his business and the link to Brake removed that...

It is that independence which I think that AD Hub now needs to take on...

Alasdair

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:29 pm

TripleS wrote:....and thanks to Alasdair, Chris and Nick for 'inviting' me here. Are you sure that was a good move? ;)

AD discussions just wouldn't be the same without you, Dave.

Good to have you aboard.

Triquet

Postby Triquet » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:34 pm

'Ullo chaps, I'm here as well ......

WhoseGeneration

Postby WhoseGeneration » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:17 pm

Having just read more thoroughly and taken it in, my excuse for not doing so before is I am suffering from a very bad virus which is affecting my rational thought, I would like to express my thanks to Alisdair for setting up this 'site.

WhoseGeneration

Postby WhoseGeneration » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:28 pm

Oh and it won't be complete here until vonhosen is registered plus I'd hope Reg will come on board.

TripleS

Postby TripleS » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:05 am

Strangely Brown wrote:
TripleS wrote:....and thanks to Alasdair, Chris and Nick for 'inviting' me here. Are you sure that was a good move? ;)

AD discussions just wouldn't be the same without you, Dave.

Good to have you aboard.

Thank you, Mark. I'll try not to foul things up...well not too often. :roll:

Faboka

Postby Faboka » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:38 pm

Hello everyone. Wasn't really a poster on the other side but I did visit, read and attend the odd driving day.
John

hir

Postby hir » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:55 pm

jont- wrote:Do you think splitting traffic between here and ADUK is likely to result in a drop in overall traffic (as neither end up with critical volume)?

Splitting the traffic? Unlikely, now that fengpo's here; that should bring in the stragglers, which is excellent news. The postings on here should now become ever more voluminous, bad tempered, irritable, cantankerous, irrelevant and with plenty of ad hominem comments. Should be exciting. Plenty of disagreements and opposing views, frustration and annoyance. Exactly how it was on ADUK and just how it should be over here on the dark web. Excellent! Three cheers for Alastair and the team! :lol: :lol: :lol:

akirk

Postby akirk » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:04 pm

hir wrote:
jont- wrote:Do you think splitting traffic between here and ADUK is likely to result in a drop in overall traffic (as neither end up with critical volume)?

Splitting the traffic? Unlikely, now that fengpo's here; that should bring in the stragglers, which is excellent news. The postings on here should now become ever more voluminous, bad tempered, irritable, cantankerous, irrelevant and with plenty of ad hominem comments. Should be exciting. Plenty of disagreements and opposing views, frustration and annoyance. Exactly how it was on ADUK and just how it should be over here on the dark web. Excellent! Three cheers for Alastair and the team! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think that any forum has a mixture of people, approaches to posting, and discussions... ;)
It is up to each whether they provoke / react / inspire / bore / etc. and hopefully some bits will be ignored, and others debated :)

Alasdair

Return to “General Chat”