Good evening...

A good place to post when you join - it is a good idea to post here first so that people know something about you, and you will get a nice welcome.
Diesel

Good evening...

Postby Diesel » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:07 pm

Hello,

I've been browsing the forums so I thought I'd get involved, however I'm not sure how much I can offer in terms of advice at this stage. Since passing my driving test some ten years ago and doing the Pass Plus course straight after, I have not done any driver training. I have been a basic (non-response) police driver for a number of years however a change of role means that I will be starting the police response driving (known as the standard car course) very soon.

I recently did a morning on the roads with Reg Local, as a bit of a wake up to any bad habbits I have picked up over the years, which I found very useful and gave me plenty to take away and get a familiarisation with "the system".

I've joined to learn what I can, and I hope to pick up some useful advice along the way.

D.

RiK

Re: Good evening...

Postby RiK » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:34 pm

Welcome aboard, and best of luck with your course :-)
Richard Olpin: Bristol IAM: Training Officer, IAM: Masters (Dist), IMI National Observer, LOA. Gloucestershire Constabulary SC6240.

akirk

Postby akirk » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:12 am

Welcome - will be interesting to see your thoughts on the course
Alasdair

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:22 am

Diesel wrote:however I'm not sure how much I can offer in terms of advice at this stage.

It's more about sharing experiences. The teacher-student model is less useful here; we're all pilgrims on the road to driving nirvana, trying to encourage those we meet on the path, although maybe some of us are having too much fun to be serious about progressing quickly!

Diesel wrote:I've joined to learn what I can, and I hope to pick up some useful advice along the way.

Besides current discussions, that might sometimes be useful, some useful nuggets might be gleaned by searching through past discussions. Beyond that, archives from the predecessor forum, ADUK, are hosted here.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

martine

Postby martine » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:15 am

Gareth wrote:..we're all pilgrims on the road to driving nirvana...

Ahh Gareth...that's almost poetic. I suspect a good number here are quite evangelistic about advanced driving as well.
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

Horse

Postby Horse » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:09 pm

Diesel wrote:Hello

Hello and welcome!

Ask questions :) Some of the best improvements in training that I've provided have come when trainees have asked me to justify what I've suggested to them. Often, the 'accepted wisdom' has actually evolved from 'Chinese whispers' as information has cascaded down, becoming detached from original context. As an example of that, see the very recent 'autobox' thread, the bit about not changing gear while cornering.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Diesel

Postby Diesel » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:40 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone :)

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:26 pm

Welcome. Where are you based?
Nick

Return to “Introductions”