Masters - Journalist failed, then passed

Topics relating to Advanced Riding on bikes
Horse

Masters - Journalist failed, then passed

Postby Horse » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:18 pm

https://edition.pagesuite-professional. ... eed5155e1b

Posted on another board:

" . . . I picked up a copy of "Motorcycling Monthly" - a free newspaper from the Mortons Group. In it was an article where the reporter, Mikko Nieminen, described how he had undertaken the test for what the IAM calls "the highest UK civilian riding standard".

"I was really disappointed to read how the examiner failed the reporter on 2 aspects.

"One was his lack of use of what is effectively the Hendon Shuffle - always stopping on the rear brake then swapping feet. There are of course many instances when this is impossible or inadvisable, and to cite this as a fail seems ridiculous.

"The second was the fact that when meeting oncoming traffic, the rider moved to the left to maintain his safety margins. The examiner "wanted him to maintain the 60% position and only move for lorries etc as there may be someone behind them looking to overtake". In my opinion this is not only wrong but dangerous and ignores one of the major principles of safe riding - that of sacrificing position for safety. As long as not taken to extremes, eg riding in the gutter, a move slightly to the left seems to me to be perfectly reasonable.

"I had heard that the IAM was moving away from its strict insistence on rules and to more of a holistic approach but that report makes it seem that the bad parts of "the system" are still being promulgated in a rigid way that's likely to put people off rather than improve their riding.

"To be fair, another examiner was apparently puzzled by the first one's attitude and later passed the reporter but that doesn't make it right.

"The report can be read on pages 18-19"
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

akirk

Re: Masters - Journalist failed, then passed

Postby akirk » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:25 pm

I am sure that the debate about "the highest UK civilian riding standard" is one that will run and run - but I doubt that it is IAM Masters ;)
The problem with anything like this is that you either judge strictly on pass / fail of a large number of sub-sections where each is objective - or you bring in the subjective opinion of the examiner... The higher you go up any form of standard, the more it becomes subjective and so you will have instances like this...

the position one seems a no-brainer to a non-motorcyclist - absolutely, you sacrifice position for safety - if someone is behind and looking to overtake then lights / horn / etc. will all help stop that...

the Hendon Shuffle - not sure I understand that, am trying it on my office chair, and still doesn't make much sense! But would agree - unless the examiner can show that there were instances where it would have been more effective / safer to have shuffled Hendon style, then that is someone looking at inputs not outputs... which is not where the IAM seems to be going

Alasdair

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:55 pm

The first examiner was entirely wrong and stuck in the (police) past.

There's no requirement for the Hendon shuffle. Even some police forces don't use it now.

Sacrificing position for safety, again a 'no brainer' ... unless he was diving to the gutter each time (and that indeed is what the report suggests he was doing).
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:21 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:There's no requirement for the Hendon shuffle. Even some police forces don't use it now.

Isn't Masters examined against Roadcraft? What does that book say?
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:52 pm

Gareth wrote:
GTR1400MAN wrote:There's no requirement for the Hendon shuffle. Even some police forces don't use it now.

Isn't Masters examined against Roadcraft? What does that book say?

It doesn't mention it as it is something invented by Hendon.

M/C Roadcraft wrote:You need to be able to slow down and stop smoothly and with your machine fully under control.

There's a whole chapter discussing front, rear brakes and their use indivdually and together. ABS, linking, machine weight, balance, weight transfer, etc. is all discussed, but there's nothing saying you must stop with either one foot or the other down.

Me and most of my riding colleagues left foot down. It's less tiring in stop/start traffic and quicker to get away when the lights change or a space appears. HOWEVER you need to be ABLE to do either (or both feet down - windy day maybe?) I can hill start with front brake only. Something many riders can't, having had you MUST use the rear drummed into them. Put the most convenient foot down for the situation. On today's potholed roads you never know what might be under your left foot.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Horse

Postby Horse » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:23 pm

akirk wrote: the Hendon Shuffle - not sure I understand that, am trying it on my office chair, and still doesn't make much sense!

Do the shuffle:

Starting:
Start bike, with left (gear) foot down, holding on rear brake (right foot) leaving right hand (throttle and front brake) free to adjust revs.
Front brake on, then right foot down
Left foot up, clutch (left hand) in, into first gear (left foot)

Stopping
Both brakes, slow, clutch in, stop
Left foot down as coming to halt
Front brake on, right foot down
Left foot up, into neutral

Imagine this viewed from behind, its other nickname is 'tap dancing'.

In 'L' training, sitting with rear brake on is known, I believe, as the 'safety position'. Also, for learners, the 'shuffle' means 'one hand foot / one control', while more experienced riders can juggle the throttle and front brake.

Historically, bikes with twin leading shoe front brakes might not hold too well on hills (so I was told), so use of the rear brake was a tad more important.

Some police schools moved away from Shuffle years ago, so have changed views a number of times!

One idea is to come to a halt at junctions with the foot down on the side of the direction you intend to go - so starting off with the bike already leant that way.

However, there's a caveat: the front brake on some bikes is fairly powerful - stopping with some lean is risking the entire lot falling over unless you're careful. Similarly, skill is needed to modulate brake pressure as you stop to avoid the forks unloading and giving a bouncy pogo stop.

Also, some riders slow down, wait until the bike is about to fall over, then put that side's foot down (or grab the front brake and put both down). There's a simple control technique known to some as the 'Betty Boothroyd': as you slow, decide which foot you want to put down, then with the last nip of the brakes and squeeze of the clutch, slightly counter-steer that way and put your foot down.

Camber can be an undoer, as can rabbit holes on grass banks, and slippery grass [tuneless whistle for that one . . . ]

ancient

Postby ancient » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:38 pm

Add British bike into the mix (also I was taught on starting - do the above then switch back to footbrake before pulling away) :D Ahh, the years roll by...

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:51 pm

This video used to have The Hokey Cokey as the backing track, but it sounds like the Youtube automated copyright robot has spoilt that fun.

Horse

Postby Horse » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:25 pm

ancient wrote:Add British bike into the mix (also I was taught on starting - do the above then switch back to footbrake before pulling away) :D Ahh, the years roll by...

Ah, now, there's a thing!

Walk up to bike, lift vertical off side stand.
Without moving left foot off the ground:
- Click up sidestand with right foot
- Swing right leg over bike
- Kickstart with right foot
- Clutch in (left hand) into first gear (right toes)
And drive away (at that point you're allowed to lift your left foot)

akirk

Postby akirk » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:40 pm

thank you, makes sense... :)
always good to learn how these things (motorbikes) work!
Alasdair

Return to “Advanced Driving - Bikes”