Insurance again.

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
fungus

Insurance again.

Postby fungus » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:42 pm

For the past eighteen months I have been pondering retiring, so for the last six months I have been winding down and not taking on any new pupils. My last paying pupil passed her test two weeks ago leaving me with my wifes neices daughter who is non paying. My ADI licence expires in September and I have recieved notice of an impending standards check which I have decided to decline and return my licence to the DVSA, there for removing my name from the register. I give this information because it is relevent to the post.

My insurance policy will now change to a normal comprehensive policy with my wife as a named driver and her neices daughter as a named provisional licence holder. My current insurers Adrian Flux would quote for my self and my wife and her neice needing to have a policy alongside at a cost of £1900. They would not include her on the policy as a named driver. AIUI, this protects my policy in the event of her having an accident in my car. Phonibg around, A Plan would include her as a named driver but I would have to remove the dual controls. :roll: Admiral would include her on the insurance without the removal of the dual controls, and the cost was reasonable at £433. However my NCD is now void, and would be with whoever I insured with as it is deemed that because I was teaching I was not the main driver. Apparently the situation is the same fore taxi drivers. So I now have to revert to not having a NCD. As I intend to sell the car when my wifes neices daughter has passed her test and my wife and I will revert to one car, this is not realy an issue. It just seems very one sided to me.

Nigel.

Horse

Re: Insurance again.

Postby Horse » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:10 pm

For Foal driving my car, I used a short-term (by the month), L driver only, policy. Is that worth investigating?
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:35 pm

Presumably the car was insured for SD&P when not teaching and you drove it between lessons? I don't see how your NCD is void, unless you only had a business only insurance for the car.

Direct Line were happy to have my learner daughter on my wife's car/policy. The issue may be that your niece is not immediate family and/or has a different address.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Horse

Postby Horse » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:11 am

GTR1400MAN wrote:Direct Line were happy to have my learner daughter on my wife's car/policy. The issue may be that your niece is not immediate family and/or has a different address.

SEAT's insurers wanted £5k to add 17yr old Foal as a learner :) See my earlier post.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

martine

Postby martine » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:58 am

Ouch...yes I think insurance companies like to have it both ways in their favour...build up no claims on one policy and this can't be used for a 2nd policy...have any claims on any policies and you get penalised on all your policies.

My NCD on my driving instructor policy (Aviva via the broker:Waveney) is shown on the renewal notice (9 years 'protected') - why would they show it if I can't transfer it to another policy? I can see I will be having words when I come to retire.
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

fungus

Postby fungus » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:58 pm

The car is insured for driving instruction, SD&P. My NCD is nine years protected. My wifes neices daughter is 24. The issue could be that she is not immediate family and that she lives at a different address. I have decided to cancel the instructor policy and insure with Admiral as they seemed to have no qualms about her being a named driver, and did not insist on the removal of the dual controls.

Nigel.

fungus

Postby fungus » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:21 pm

I cancelled my insurance with Adrian Flux today but, firstly the amount of the policy cost refundable had altered considerably since I phoned on Monday. When I enquired of the reason, I was told that the amount I was told on Monday was only if I took up another policy with them. I did not do this as the cost wuold have been prohibitive to my wifes neices daughter at £1900 for a parallel policy. I was not made aware of this. Secondly, I was initially told that the breakdown cover would remain in force. This is not the case. In all I will recieve £215 refund, not the £258 that I was told initially. Bear in mind that the policy has only been in force for just less thanone month. The policy for one year cost £399 including breakdown and legal expenses cover. All in all I think that £184 for one months insurance is extortionate.

Nigel.

jont-

Postby jont- » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:30 pm

fungus wrote:I cancelled my insurance with Adrian Flux today but, firstly the amount of the policy cost refundable had altered considerably since I phoned on Monday. When I enquired of the reason, I was told that the amount I was told on Monday was only if I took up another policy with them. I did not do this as the cost wuold have been prohibitive to my wifes neices daughter at £1900 for a parallel policy. I was not made aware of this. Secondly, I was initially told that the breakdown cover would remain in force. This is not the case. In all I will recieve £215 refund, not the £258 that I was told initially. Bear in mind that the policy has only been in force for just less thanone month. The policy for one year cost £399 including breakdown and legal expenses cover. All in all I think that £184 for one months insurance is extortionate.

Unfortunately all of that will have been in the small print when you took out the original policy. It's fairly normal for there to be arrangement fees that are non refundable (unless you cancel in the first 14 days cooling off under distance selling regs) and a significant reduction in refund if cancelled mid term (I'm sure one of my policies has been down to something like no refund if cancelled after 8 or 9 months cover).

I think it's also often (but not always) the cheapest providers who have the highest costs when there's any policy variation. Flux don't have the best reputation for customer service.

fungus

Postby fungus » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:01 pm

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I'll have to read the boring bits more thoroughly in future.

Nigel.

DJP31

Postby DJP31 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:44 pm

jont- wrote:
fungus wrote:I cancelled my insurance with Adrian Flux today but, firstly the amount of the policy cost refundable had altered considerably since I phoned on Monday. When I enquired of the reason, I was told that the amount I was told on Monday was only if I took up another policy with them. I did not do this as the cost wuold have been prohibitive to my wifes neices daughter at £1900 for a parallel policy. I was not made aware of this. Secondly, I was initially told that the breakdown cover would remain in force. This is not the case. In all I will recieve £215 refund, not the £258 that I was told initially. Bear in mind that the policy has only been in force for just less thanone month. The policy for one year cost £399 including breakdown and legal expenses cover. All in all I think that £184 for one months insurance is extortionate.

Unfortunately all of that will have been in the small print when you took out the original policy. It's fairly normal for there to be arrangement fees that are non refundable (unless you cancel in the first 14 days cooling off under distance selling regs) and a significant reduction in refund if cancelled mid term (I'm sure one of my policies has been down to something like no refund if cancelled after 8 or 9 months cover).

I think it's also often (but not always) the cheapest providers who have the highest costs when there's any policy variation. Flux don't have the best reputation for customer service.

Very often the broker will retain their commission, arguing that they have done their work in arranging the policy for you, plus the work in obtaining the refund from the Insurer to pass on to you etc. As said, it’ll be in the t’s and c’s.

Return to “General Chat”