Bought a new Range Rover Sport HSE Dynamic

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Re: Bought a new Range Rover Sport HSE Dynamic

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:25 pm

hir wrote:When it comes to buying a new car "the punter's wife" can be a big sales lever for the salesman. They want the wife to touch the car, get in the car, fall in love with the car, and woe betide the husband/partner who disappoints his wife by not buying the car of her dreams, the car which will set her apart from all her friends, the car that will be announced on Facebook, Twitter and Snapchat.

... and ...

He was simply programmed to get both of us to the showroom where I would not be allowed to walk away from the negotiations leaving my wife devastated with disappointment because I was too mean to pay the showroom price. Needless to say he eventually relented and my wife got the car of her dreams at a price (12% discount) we were prepared to pay.

Interesting. My wife has to be dragged kicking and screaming to car showrooms so that I can be sure she won't hate any new car enough to refuse to drive it. As for the idea of her ever posting about cars on any social media site ... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

(and she will be the person pointing out any potential cost savings, too).
Nick

waremark

Postby waremark » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:42 pm

Living in commuter land, it is often the wives of our prosperous commuter friends who choose and buy the expensive cars. If my wife was the lead car purchaser in our family (she isnt) she would be much more sparing on the options than I am. She would certainly do her best to get a goid deal.

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:36 am

Horse wrote:
sussex2 wrote:I seem to remember reading somewhere that some signs in the UK are not understood by these systems.

Catching up - or lagging - with human drivers, then . . .

I read an article some time back which largely related to speed limit signs; how they cannot be understood by these systems was I believe something to do with the coating or dressing on them.
It was many moons ago I accepted that not all signs will be seen by humans :)

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:54 am

sussex2 wrote:I read an article some time back which largely related to speed limit signs; how they cannot be understood by these systems was I believe something to do with the coating or dressing on them.

Algae? :( :evil:

Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Horse

Postby Horse » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:20 pm

sussex2 wrote:
Horse wrote:
sussex2 wrote:I seem to remember reading somewhere that some signs in the UK are not understood by these systems.

Catching up - or lagging - with human drivers, then . . .

I read an article some time back which largely related to speed limit signs; how they cannot be understood by these systems was I believe something to do with the coating or dressing on them.

If they're set up to read perfect upright signs, then they may well struggle (and this is total speculation, I have no knowledge) with, as said, algae, or faded colours, or obscured by vegetation, or any with an anti-condesation film, or condensation, on a sign that's falling over. If they're set up to read 'engineering' grade retro reflective material under white led streetlights, they may struggle under full beam HID headlights with low pressure sodium streetlights.

Who knows? Have any of the motoring magazines ever tested them?
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

dvenman

Postby dvenman » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:48 pm

sussex2 wrote:I read an article some time back which largely related to speed limit signs; how they cannot be understood by these systems was I believe something to do with the coating or dressing on them.

I was in the back of Volvo a few months ago with a chap whose car had the traffic sign recognition kit. Worked pretty well. Except it was ignored, for the most part, by the driver...

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:11 am

dvenman wrote:

I was in the back of Volvo a few months ago with a chap whose car had the traffic sign recognition kit. Worked pretty well. Except it was ignored, for the most part, by the driver...

Few drivers, present company excepted, see and realise the importance of each and every sign they see or pass. The extraordinary explosion of street furniture in recent years will not have helped that.

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:02 am

sussex2 wrote:Few drivers, present company excepted, see and realise the importance of each and every sign they see or pass. The extraordinary explosion of street furniture in recent years will not have helped that.

It's worst on routes you 'know'. My regular commute used to involve a 30 limit road, over a crest to a miniroundabout. That had replaced, years before, a T junction with priority for the road I used.
My training acquaintance Kevin Williams had just written an online article suggesting consciously acknowledging every sign you approach.

Preceding the crest? A triangular 'junction to the right' sign . . .

Somewhere in my collection (as a negative and paper print!) is a photo of a country road passing through fields and into the tree line. Just before the 'tunnel' through the dense trees, a 'bend to the right' sign. In the shadows, a bend to the left.

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:51 am

Yes indeed it can be worse on routes you 'know' and worse still on routes you used to 'know'. The latter IMO demanding a great deal more concentration and being able to rely on 'The System' is more than useful.

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:31 pm

It's been mentioned on here or ADUK, the way Japanese 'bullet' train drivers physically point at signals and say them out aloud. Forcing yourself to physically acknowledge signs makes it more difficult to ignore them!

Return to “General Chat”