Bought a new Range Rover Sport HSE Dynamic

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
titian

Re: Bought a new Range Rover Sport HSE Dynamic

Postby titian » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:50 pm

mainbeam wrote:
titian wrote: I also added the Vision Assist Pro package including head-up display, surround camera system, whilst discussing with the salesman that to see the road speed together with the Traffic Sign Recognition system in the head-up display is exactly what I was looking for.
Did the salesman recall this, or at least accept you may have said it, when you spoke to him subsequently?

He didn't exactly say yes and he didn't exactly say no either, I have a certain respect for the guy though as having reached a total figure for the vehicle with which i was happy and having gone away fully expecting to pay that price in 3 months time on delivery.

Later, whilst checking the build spec I noticed that it included a black painted roof which I had the salesman correct. He later contacted me to say that he had overcharged me by £600 for a black painted roof when what I actually specified was a body coloured roof with a black panoramic opening sun roof which covers 90% of the roof anyway. It did make me wonder however why it costs £600 for a teacup full of black paint!

hir

Postby hir » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:16 pm

jont- wrote:
hir wrote:And, to bring us back to where we started, which is about car salesmen being trained to sell cars and finance and not understanding most of the details, we can now understand that a salesman's job is to sell us the bundle of extras, half of which we don't want or need, and then persuade us to buy it because although it adds another million zillion pounds onto the list price it'll only cost another £10 a month over five years on his amazingly cheap finance deal. He doesn't tell us that it will just add a million zillion pounds to the balloon at the end of five years! :o

Don't forget the "residuals" BS line too ;)

Absolutely, right. They're highly trained professional salespersons. They're programmed to get you to sign the paperwork regardless of what you actually want.

When it comes to buying a new car "the punter's wife" can be a big sales lever for the salesman. They want the wife to touch the car, get in the car, fall in love with the car, and woe betide the husband/partner who disappoints his wife by not buying the car of her dreams, the car which will set her apart from all her friends, the car that will be announced on Facebook, Twitter and Snapchat.

Some years ago my wife decided she wanted an Audi A3 Fastback. She chose the speck and I went alone to the local Audi Main dealer to place the order. I hasten to add that what follows was all pre-arranged between my wife and I. My opening gambit to the salesman was... my wife wants an Audi A3 Fastback; whats the best discount you will offer? The salesman responded... has your wife been to see a car here? To which I replied... no she hasn't, but she's seen the car she wants and knows what she wants, here's the spec. The salesman's response was... I suggest that your wife comes to the showroom and has a look at an A3 and then we can talk price; we can't talk price until she's seen a car. I told him that I wasn't going to let my wife anywhere near his showroom until he'd agreed a price with me. He was simply programmed to get both of us to the showroom where I would not be allowed to walk away from the negotiations leaving my wife devastated with disappointment because I was too mean to pay the showroom price. Needless to say he eventually relented and my wife got the car of her dreams at a price (12% discount) we were prepared to pay.

It's not that I don't like car salesmen, I like them a lot, I enjoy negotiating with them, it's just that I always want to come away with a deal thinking that notwithstanding all the devious sales training techniques that they have tried to employ in my direction, I got what I wanted, at a price I was prepared to pay. :D

waremark

Postby waremark » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:38 pm

hir wrote:It's not that I don't like car salesmen, I like them a lot, I enjoy negotiating with them, it's just that I always want to come away with a deal thinking that notwithstanding all the devious sales training techniques that they have tried to employ in my direction, I got what I wanted, at a price I was prepared to pay. :D

For the last two cars I have negotiated, the negotiation has taken the form of saying: 'the Carwow/DrivetheDeal price is £x, if you are prepared to match it I would love to buy it from you'. In one case the answer was yes, in the other, the online price was about 20% off, the dealer offered 19% and asked if he had done enough, I said yes, and the whole thing was very congenial in both cases.

I would not expect the salesman to be expert on exactly what was included in each package, I have sometimes asked them to check with the manufacturer for clarification where the brochure/price list was ambiguous.

Specifically on this topic, I am not quite clear about the specifics of the missing equipment. The OP suggests that Land Rover offer two completely different systems for speed limit display, In two of our cars, which have speed limit displays, the manuals suggest that the limit display is based on a combination of the GPS database and signs seen by a camera. I have no idea what the mix is - but most of the time the correct limit is displayed, both on the dash and on the satnav screen. The same limit is always displayed in both places. We do not have Head Up Display. I wonder what the OP's car has and what it doesn't have.

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:45 pm

If the OP can find out from the dealer/JLR what is required for the TSR facility that his vehicle does not already have then it may help to establish whether or not it is a simple software switch. If all of the required hardware is already present...

DJP31

Postby DJP31 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:07 pm

I enjoyed the different approach taken by Tesla. The price is the price on the website, and you order it via the web from the comfort of your armchair :shock:

No negotiations, it is what it is. If you have a p/ex they simply farm the details iout to a couple of brokers and pass on the price they are offered.

The ‘sales’ staff are enthusiasts interested in showing you the car, answering questions and are generally passionate about the brand. They are the most unlikely sales people you will ever come across in a car purchasing environment and it’s rather refreshing.

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:01 pm

I was overtaken by a RR today. Never mind cameras, he could have done with using his mirrors since an ambulance on blues - with siren going - was trying to get past at the time . . .
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

titian

Postby titian » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:07 pm

Just found on JLR's own web site, as regards the Traffic Sign Recognition system,
"The traffic sign recognition system uses the forward-facing camera, located in the rear-view mirror. The camera detects speed signs, no overtaking signs, and variable overhead speed signs. Symbols of the detected signs are displayed in the message center and the Head-Up Display (HUD). Traffic signs with extra information, e.g., reduced speed limits, are also detected and compared with the vehicle’s operating systems. When no speed limit signs are detected, relevant speed limit information from the navigation system is displayed in the message center and the HUD."

and as regards the Lane Departure Warning system,
"The system uses the forward-facing camera, located in the base of the rear-view mirror."

My vehicle has the Lane Departure Warning system, (totally unnecessary and not specified as I am the first to know when I'm changing lanes), so it has the forward facing camera, my vehicle has the Head-up Display, so what the hell is going on at JLR, it appears to be a case of won't do it (switch on TSR) rather than can't do it! Abolutely shocking and totally intransigent attitude, I've got to find the appropriate butthons to push at JLR and/or the dealer.

Horse

Postby Horse » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:39 pm

If you're going to make a fight of it, take screen shots and copy&paste the text into a file. Get as much info as you can, configuration, reviews, sales blurb brochures, adverts etc.

But as I said earlier, decide first how much of an issue it is for you and what you will accept.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

kfae8959

Postby kfae8959 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:36 pm

titian wrote:displayed in the message center

Is this definitely from the UK website?

David

titian

Postby titian » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:53 am

David, this is where the TSR details are to be found...

http://www.ownerinfo.landrover.com/docu ... c/G2134155

Return to “General Chat”