Satnav and driving test

The first test you do - organised by the government.
Taffy

Satnav and driving test

Postby Taffy » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:33 pm

I mix with a lot of people who have various levels of hearing loss. Does anyone know how a driving test examiner would handle the situation where the candidate is not able to hear a satnav? I'd like to be able to provide guidance/support to such people.

I have to play my satnav through the radio in order to get the quality of sound and volume that I need, but that wouldn't be good enough for profoundly deaf people.

TheInsanity1234

Re: Satnav and driving test

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:51 pm

Speaking as a profoundly deaf person, when I drive with the satnav, I use the eyeballs to glance at the route ahead on the satnav. I often find I follow the satnav better than most hearing people, simply because sometimes the audio instructions can be a bit confusing, whereas the image showing the route is rarely a problem!

martine

Postby martine » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:22 pm

The SatNav part of the driving test is at the discretion of the examiner. Around 1:5 test won't use it and instead get the driver to follow signs to a destination or use a diagram of several turns ahead. If someone is deaf they can state this on the test application form and so it won't come as a surprise to the examiner. They are trained to deal with all sorts of different drivers...
https://www.gov.uk/driving-test/disability-health-condition-or-learning-difficulty
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

Jonquirk

Postby Jonquirk » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:36 pm

There’s nothing wrong with my hearing but I never use the voice prompts on my satnav. I have other things I would rather listen to and I found the constant interruptions irritating. I just glance at it whenever I want an update on where the next turn is.

Pontoneer

Postby Pontoneer » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:50 pm

While I rarely use satnav , on occasions when I do , I have the screen set to mute at speed , and tend to only listen to audio prompts. Sometimes I don’t even have the screen in view .

waremark

Postby waremark » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:14 am

I have used very many sat navs, use them a lot, and nearly always find the audio instructions wrong or ambiguous. I generally mute the sound and look at the screen.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:59 am

A quick glance at the screen to register the distance to the next turn is how I've always used my bike SatNag. Recently having 'upgraded' to a modern Garmin Zumo from my old brick StreetPilot I have been experimenting with Bluetooth audio. Once you turn off all the needless warnings for upcoming hazards (apart from speed changes) I am finding I look even less at the screen. After a turn it says something like "Continue for xx miles" and then prompts when a bit closer.

For the original question posed, would a pair of bluetooth earbuds solve the problem?
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:54 am

GTR1400MAN wrote:For the original question posed, would a pair of bluetooth earbuds solve the problem?

Depends on the type of hearing loss.

I know they wouldn't work for me.

Taffy

Postby Taffy » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:30 am

martine wrote:The SatNav part of the driving test is at the discretion of the examiner. Around 1:5 test won't use it and instead get the driver to follow signs to a destination or use a diagram of several turns ahead. If someone is deaf they can state this on the test application form and so it won't come as a surprise to the examiner. They are trained to deal with all sorts of different drivers...
https://www.gov.uk/driving-test/disability-health-condition-or-learning-difficulty

That's great Martin. Many thanks. Just the sort of info I was looking for to help me allay fears.

Taffy

Postby Taffy » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:37 am

GTR1400MAN wrote:
For the original question posed, would a pair of bluetooth earbuds solve the problem?

The only satnavs that will allow you go transmit the instructions using Bluetooth are those designed for motorcyclists. Others just use Bluetooth to let you use your phone hands-free. I use sat nav software on a smartphone, and that does allow you to Bluetooth to ear buds, or nowadays directly to your hearing aid. I Bluetooth from my smartphone to the car radio, and that works well for me. The microphones on my aids are still active when I do that, which helps hear outside noises.

Return to “Learner Driving”