I-Pace

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
martine

I-Pace

Postby martine » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:16 pm

Well the new Jag I-Pace should give Tesla a run for it's money and jolly nice it looks too - if a bit pricey...even the base model is £64,000 but I had a play with their configurator and it could cost a great deal more...

https://build.jaguar/928F0563#.Wp_lTXN68RQ.email

One of the options is 22" wheels - blimey.
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

TheInsanity1234

Re: I-Pace

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:03 pm

Still a good chunk of money less than the Tesla SUV

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:27 pm

Electric car that looks like a Ford Focus inflated with a huge bicyle pump. Price starting at £65k. Driver experience "enhanced" by silly engine noises pumped through the sound system.

Does not compute. Sorry.
Nick

DJP31

Postby DJP31 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:58 pm

As a Tesla Model S owner it’s great to see come competion finally arriving. Unfortunately JLR, so far at least, have decided not to throw any money at a high speed charging network. That, in my view, relegates the car to those that can afford £75k+ for a car that isn’t needed for the longer distance trips most of us tend to make at least a few times a year.

In simple terms (so I can understand them!) the I Pace can charge at a rate of 100kW’s. However, there are no 100kW chargers in the UK, the Ecotricty motorway network is 50kW max. That means it’ll take 90 minutes to charge your I Pace from empty to 80%. I have also never seen an Ecotricity delivery more than 40kW and the reliability is shocking and there is only one of them at most locations. Trying selling that to the other half :?

The Tesla Supercharger network will start at 120kW and gradually ramps down as the battery fills. Think of filling a jug of water where you cannot spill a drop - you can start quickly but must slow down nearer to the top. Typically 10%-80% is 20/25 mins, just enough for a comfort break and to grab a coffee.

This is a huge differential between the brands, and it’s not that Tesla won’t share their network, they are happy to.

To spec one equivalent to my S is around £80k, but tbh I became bored with the options list and gave up. Size wise it’s much smaller than the X, more Evoque size I think.

I’m not an avid follower but believe JLR has spent tons of money on revamping their ICE engine, so the cynic in me wonders if this will be a niche vehicle and JLR can continue their profitable ICE and servicing network, whilst saying there’s little demand for EV’s.

Nonetheless, they should be applauded for being the first to get something to start competion with Tesla to market, everything else is coming in 2020 or still concept.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:27 pm

Are you telling us the 'filling points' are incompatible? All cars can't use all charging points? Or is it just the refill rate?

The future? :o
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

jont-

Postby jont- » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:48 pm

It'll sell just fine to folk dodging company car BiK tax and rich londoners avoiding the "congestion" charge ('cos EVs take up no road space at all :roll:). As for longer trips, I'm sure JLR could come up with a scheme where you can borrow another car from the range for a weekend or week - IIRC BMW have a scheme for i3 owners along those lines.

DJP31

Postby DJP31 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:45 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:Are you telling us the 'filling points' are incompatible? All cars can't use all charging points? Or is it just the refill rate?

The future? :o

There is a bit of a Betamax v VHS going on, but the main difference is the fill rate. In Europe the CCS “filler” has won, with Nissan’s CHAdeMO network being the other.

That said the actual charging network, outside of the Tesla one which is simplicity itself, is a mess. There are a number of different companies and they have different charging structures, some you need an account, some an RFID card, other just an app. It needs to be made significantly easier so people can do what they do know, fill up, pay and go. Except for many many people the fill up will be at home whilst they are asleep, so visiting a fuel station will be limited to when driving out of range, rather than being an inevitable weekly/fortnightly trip.

DJP31

Postby DJP31 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:49 pm

jont- wrote:It'll sell just fine to folk dodging company car BiK tax and rich londoners avoiding the "congestion" charge ('cos EVs take up no road space at all :roll:). As for longer trips, I'm sure JLR could come up with a scheme where you can borrow another car from the range for a weekend or week - IIRC BMW have a scheme for i3 owners along those lines.

You’ve accurately described the plug in EV’s there :lol:

Maybe JLR will have a rent/borrow scheme but I’m not convinced many owners would want the hassle of that. Imagine the pressure on resources at Xmas :o

JLR have, at least publicly, firmly nailed their flag to the charging network is some one else’s problem, much like petrol stations are not the domain of car manufacturers.

waremark

Postby waremark » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:43 am

I-Pace looks jolly nice though, much prefer the look to Model X. And a top end Model X gets to £140k. I-Pace pricing puts it on par with a RR Velar from the same group. I look fwd to seeing one. Different availability of charging points is interesting.

As I am not a business car user I am not yet tempted by electric.

DJP31

Postby DJP31 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:17 am

waremark wrote:I-Pace looks jolly nice though, much prefer the look to Model X. And a top end Model X gets to £140k. I-Pace pricing puts it on par with a RR Velar from the same group. I look fwd to seeing one. Different availability of charging points is interesting.

As I am not a business car user I am not yet tempted by electric.

I don’t like the X look either, it looks like my S on steroids. I wonder whether the I Pace will eat into the Velar target market? Certainly IMO once you’ve experienced an EV drivetrain an ICE seems archaic, but the lack of a reliable quick long distance charging network will be a big turn off.

Interested in why not being a business user puts you off EV’s?

Return to “General Chat”