Learners on motorways

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
Jonquirk

Re: Learners on motorways

Postby Jonquirk » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:13 pm

Not the first time they have shown up on the satellite view. It used to be possible to spot the Battle of Britain Lancaster near Grantham before the images were updated.

crr003

Postby crr003 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:46 pm

Jonquirk wrote:Not the first time they have shown up on the satellite view. It used to be possible to spot the Battle of Britain Lancaster near Grantham before the images were updated.

This one's famous!
https://thenextweb.com/google/2017/07/2 ... id-flight/

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:18 pm

I couldn't actually see a plane in the first one. Maybe the imagery is updated - or served up from different servers depending on where you search from...
Nick

Jonquirk

Postby Jonquirk » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:34 pm

There used to be multiple images of a plane taking off from Heathrow showing the way the image we see is made up of images tiled together. The plane could be seen leaving the runway, heading west, then turning south.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:45 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:I couldn't actually see a plane in the first one. Maybe the imagery is updated - or served up from different servers depending on where you search from...

Glad it wasn't just me. I even cleaned my glasses! :lol:
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

crr003

Postby crr003 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:20 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:I couldn't actually see a plane in the first one. Maybe the imagery is updated - or served up from different servers depending on where you search from...

That's odd - it's a different link now, which makes sense as the road description didn't match up.
Here's sort of where it did point to:
https://goo.gl/maps/57x3hGomAvo

Jonquirk

Postby Jonquirk » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:27 pm

The original link shows the plane if you zoom out a bit: it appears in the upper right side of the view.

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:27 am

Either it's a different plane, or your computer's upside-down :D The one posted by crr003 is some 26km West of Brighton City Airport, to the North of Bognor Regis. I've tried zooming the Brighton Airport link in and out til I'm blue in the face - no planes that I can find.
Nick

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:00 am

crr003 wrote:
GTR1400MAN wrote:

That's odd - it's a different link now, which makes sense as the road description didn't match up.
Here's sort of where it did point to:
https://goo.gl/maps/57x3hGomAvo

It goes straight to the junction when I click on it - the 4 engined aircraft you see is a Virgin 747 doubtless heading for LGW.

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:08 am

crr003 wrote:

Cool aeroplane.

I can't see that at all - the blue tents on the airfield are stages for the WildLife festival which was held, for the last few years. It has been cancelled this year but a stipulation of the rules was that the airfield be kept open.

The junction in question seems plain daft to me with a 70 limit. I've been using it since the lights were introduced (many moons ago) and never feel really comfortble with it; especially as traffic going East/West may have been travelling for some considerable time at higher speeds.

Return to “General Chat”