Driving instructors and learners - do they drive like each other?

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
GTR1400MAN

Re: Driving instructors and learners - do they drive like each other?

Postby GTR1400MAN » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:49 pm

Can I ask why you want it to turn it off?

Can we turn synchromesh off? ;) :twisted:

PS. Let him enjoy it while he can. There will be no manuals soon. The march of DCT continues. They keep adding more gears. It won't be long before all you can buy are CVT or electric with no gears.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

jont-

Postby jont- » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:37 am

GTR1400MAN wrote:Can I ask why you want it to turn it off?

Why bother with a manual at all if it takes the skill away from using one. Might as well just have flappy paddles :roll:

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:59 am

crr003 wrote:driving around without DSC isn't too clever.

Most of us over a certain age have driven for many years without DSC. Is this the new normal, where drivers aren't deemed safe enough to do the driving unaided? I know it's the future, with autonomous mobility pods, but now?
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

akirk

Postby akirk » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:30 am

Gareth wrote:

Most of us over a certain age have driven for many years without DSC. Is this the new normal, where drivers aren't deemed safe enough to do the driving unaided? I know it's the future, with autonomous mobility pods, but now?

I think that can depend on the car - if you look at the arms race in power in modern cars - e.g. hot hatches - it is only possible with the electronic controls... manufacturers seem to have a philosophy of: 'lots of power' / 'tame it with electronics' / 'don't worry about building a decent chassis'

in older cars, there was a better balance of chassis and power, so the electronics are very much less necessary...

Alasdair

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:59 am

'Lots of power' doesn't seem to come into it - the Ford Fiesta had it across the range from sometime in 2010.

crr003

Postby crr003 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:31 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:Can I ask why you want it to turn it off?

Can we turn synchromesh off? ;) :twisted:

PS. Let him enjoy it while he can. There will be no manuals soon. The march of DCT continues. They keep adding more gears. It won't be long before all you can buy are CVT or electric with no gears.

Hang on, let me just check what forum we're in........
Advanced driving; skilz innit!
:gear:

crr003

Postby crr003 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:54 pm

Gareth wrote:

D/ESC mandatory on normal production cars since 2014(?) ABS since 2004?
Maybe they never get activated in normal driving, but in today's litigious society, if one ended up in an RTC through no fault, I wonder how insurance companies would react if they found out DSC was switched off, or the ABS fuse was missing?

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:59 pm

crr003 wrote:D/ESC mandatory on normal production cars since 2014(?) ABS since 2004?
Maybe they never get activated in normal driving, but in today's litigious society, if one ended up in an RTC through no fault, I wonder how insurance companies would react if they found out DSC was switched off, or the ABS fuse was missing?

Or locked wheels due to a mis-matched down change on a powerful rear wheel drive car where the safety aid was turned off. :o ;) :twisted:

D/ESC is very impressive. There's some great demos on YouTube. Of course we all remember the Audi A Class where it had to have it added.

Here's the improved version ... can't find any of the ones showing it falling over. They have all mysteriously disappeared.

Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:29 pm

crr003 wrote:Maybe they never get activated in normal driving, but in today's litigious society, if one ended up in an RTC through no fault, I wonder how insurance companies would react if they found out DSC was switched off, or the ABS fuse was missing?

Just the same as if the car didn't have DSC or ABS, one hopes, else it's a short step to disallowing driving cars to be driven without them fitted.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:31 pm

Gareth wrote:Just the same as if the car didn't have DSC or ABS, one hopes, else it's a short step to disallowing driving cars to be driven without them fitted.

They are mandatory now. ABS is also mandatory on motorcycles.

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”