About time I joined in

A good place to post when you join - it is a good idea to post here first so that people know something about you, and you will get a nice welcome.
DJP31

About time I joined in

Postby DJP31 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:24 pm

I dabbled with the IAM hundreds of years ago, but life got in the way and I never made it past a few observed drives in my Hillman Super Minx :car:

Fast forward and having spent rather more money than ever before on a car, and being paranoid about bending it (or someone else bending it that I should have seen coming :( ) I touched base with the East Surrey IAM. Lucky for me I met @skodatezzer and @jcochrane of this parish and a few drives later fluked a F1rst :D

They encouraged me not to leave it there, so being a dutiful student I decided to have a bash at the High Performance Course. I thoroughly enjoyed the experience and managed to achieve the required standard, the most nerve racking part being driving the Course Managers 911 for a day. Been a long time since I drove a manual transmission :gear:

So, here I am, looking forward to getting involved both in terms of driving and continuing my education. I’ve been lurking around over the past few months and feel very much the novice ;)

Oh, and a familiar face from a watch forum, hello @akirk - as well as cars I do like the odd timepiece :)

Horse

Re: About time I joined in

Postby Horse » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:36 pm

Hello!
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

MrToad

Postby MrToad » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:16 pm

Hello, and congratulations on the rapid progress through the courses. What's the new car that started you on this path?

M1ke H

Postby M1ke H » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:07 am

Hello, and congratulations on your recent successes. (Your post brought back some memories of my being taught to drive in my Dad's Hillman Minx)!

DJP31

Postby DJP31 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:14 am

MrToad wrote:Hello, and congratulations on the rapid progress through the courses. What's the new car that started you on this path?

After much deliberation and actually bottling it the first time, I bought a Tesla Model S :D

Repair costs and parts availability are a concern, and being off the road for 3 months waiting for parts to come across from the US is the norm. Being the best driver I can be seemed to be the best way of mitigating the risks - and of course gave me more excuses to drive what is an outstanding car.

I’ve had it virtually a year and hope never to go back to an ICE vehicle, unless it’s a driving experience day eg with the HPC :lol:

The electric drivetrain is a dream, immediate torque delivering 0-60 in 4.2 secs, with room for the family and the golf clubs in the boot. Less than 3p a mile in fuel costs, and free charging at the Superchargers up and down the country. That said, man maths takes over for the rest of the financial equation, and the build quality is excellent for an American car, but not to European or Japanese standards.

Can you tell I love it? 8-)

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:14 am

Welcome on board.

It will be good to have an owner of a self driving car in the automation discussions.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:43 am

Welcome. Glad you found your way here.

akirk

Postby akirk » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:50 pm

DJP31 wrote:I dabbled with the IAM hundreds of years ago, but life got in the way and I never made it past a few observed drives in my Hillman Super Minx :car:

Fast forward and having spent rather more money than ever before on a car, and being paranoid about bending it (or someone else bending it that I should have seen coming :( ) I touched base with the East Surrey IAM. Lucky for me I met @skodatezzer and @jcochrane of this parish and a few drives later fluked a F1rst :D

They encouraged me not to leave it there, so being a dutiful student I decided to have a bash at the High Performance Course. I thoroughly enjoyed the experience and managed to achieve the required standard, the most nerve racking part being driving the Course Managers 911 for a day. Been a long time since I drove a manual transmission :gear:

So, here I am, looking forward to getting involved both in terms of driving and continuing my education. I’ve been lurking around over the past few months and feel very much the novice ;)

Oh, and a familiar face from a watch forum, hello @akirk - as well as cars I do like the odd timepiece :)

Welcome, and yes I recognise the username :) didn't you have a lexus at one point, I seem to remember a photo... I have sold a few of my CW watches (did have 23 at one point) but still wear the others regularly...

enjoy the chat here...

Alasdair

DJP31

Postby DJP31 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:58 pm

Good memory! I did indeed have a Lexus, 3 in fact. I had a couple of IS’s and then the NX. I nearly went for the Tesla instead of the NX but wasn’t confident enough about their future etc. Kept following them and then when Brexit happened and GBP went south big time I thought I’d better jump in before the price went beyond what my man maths could cope with.

DJP31

Postby DJP31 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:01 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:Welcome on board.

It will be good to have an owner of a self driving car in the automation discussions.

:lol: It’s very definitely not self driving, yet! If I can add anything constructive then I will do my best :)

Return to “Introductions”