Hands on the wheel

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
allen-uk

Hands on the wheel

Postby allen-uk » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:05 pm

Hello.

Having a chat with some drivers (including some who claimed to have passed IAM test) about single-handed steering, and I was surprised at how many defended the position that it was safe to drive with one hand, particularly with power steering...

Similarly, many were quite happy to see police driving one-handed (the other holding down their 'transmit' button), even in pursuit situations.

Okay, it's been nearly twenty years since I passed my IAM test, but has the position really changed?

As far as I'm concerned, safety dictates two hands on the wheel at all (reasonable) times - even if you're wearing a uniform.

I'd be interested to hear views, particularly alternative ones.

Allen, in London.

Horse

Re: Hands on the wheel

Postby Horse » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:07 pm

If you watch 'Road Wars' 'Traffic Cops' and 'Interceptors', you'll notice that Hendon no longer exerts the influence it once did ;)
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

hir

Postby hir » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:22 pm

Horse wrote:If you watch 'Road Wars' 'Traffic Cops' and 'Interceptors', you'll notice that Hendon no longer exerts the influence it once did ;)

Well, you live and learn. And there was me thinking that the driving was so bad on these shows that they were all just jobbing actors; and that Road Wars and Interceptors were just, sort of, cop-dramas on wheels. I had no idea they were real police officers with real police cars! :lol: :lol: :lol:

martine

Postby martine » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:41 pm

The previous replies have nicely avoided your question.

I think it would raise the examiners eyebrows if on test, the candidate were to use one-handed steering...in fact I am sure it would result in a fail unless it was fleeting. There is a new 'flexibility' in what steering method is acceptable on test but it still has to be smooth, safe and in control. I would argue one-handed steering puts you at an unnecessary risk - admittedly small in some situations. On the other hand, what is the advantage of one-handed steering?
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

akirk

Postby akirk » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:51 pm

Welcome to the forum Allen...

There has to be times when you steer with one hand, e.g. changing gear (and handbrake turns?! :)), so a driver needs to be safe driving with one hand...
However a part of advanced driving is about understanding / managing / reducing risk - so the question has to be asked as to why you would make that choice when the spare hand is doing nothing - equally you have to ask if there is an advantage to having that second hand on the steering wheel...

simple answer is that risk is reduced and there are advantages to smoothness / control / etc. in having two hands on the wheel, so while there will be some acceptable times of single-handed steering, the AD should aim to minimise those times...

so, is it acceptable - yes, when absolutely necessary, and as little as possible...
is it the right approach to steering, no

Alasdair

kfae8959

Postby kfae8959 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:56 pm

I don't remotely imagine that this is what Allen had in mind, but in fact IAM Observers used to be encouraged to advocate a method that constituted steering with one hand...

David

waremark

Postby waremark » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:14 pm

kfae8959 wrote:I don't remotely imagine that this is what Allen had in mind, but in fact IAM Observers used to be encouraged to advocate a method that constituted steering with one hand...

David

But with the other hand on close standby in case of need.

waremark

Postby waremark » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:15 pm

hir wrote:
Horse wrote:If you watch 'Road Wars' 'Traffic Cops' and 'Interceptors', you'll notice that Hendon no longer exerts the influence it once did ;)

Well, you live and learn. And there was me thinking that the driving was so bad on these shows that they were all just jobbing actors; and that Road Wars and Interceptors were just, sort of, cop-dramas on wheels. I had no idea they were real police officers with real police cars! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I love that comment!

Horse

Postby Horse » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:22 pm

hir wrote:

:)

Continuing the non-answer strategy :) , did you ever see the Road Wars M40 'samurai sword' episode? It was a tad chaotic to put it mildly, with one car doing a U-ey and heading towards an HGV in lane 1 (it's driver was unimpressed) then onto the hard shoulder - where it was in a head-on collision with another car, passenger of which was telling the driver to look out.

I think it's on YouTube.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Re: Associate cannot keep to the speed limit

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:55 pm

I often get associates to steer with one hand, to get rid of nervousness and over-steering. Hopefully this is fixed by test time, but even if it isn't, one hand is most often dominant, so I tell them to concentrate on just one hand, which helps with the relaxation and reduces contention between the two.
Nick

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”