Graduated licensing again

Articles of interest to the AD community, currently in the news.
crr003
Posts: 447
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:32 pm

Graduated licensing again

Postby crr003 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:57 pm

http://roadsafetygb.org.uk/news/governm ... licensing/

The BRAKE contribution demanding 10 hours professional tuition; yeah, that'll do it.

Might carry a little more gravitas if they could spell licence properly.
Last edited by crr003 on Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Strangely Brown
Posts: 558
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:06 pm
Location: Sussex

Re: Graduated licensing again

Postby Strangely Brown » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:38 am

They have. 's' is the verb. 'c' is the noun.

crr003
Posts: 447
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:32 pm

Re: Graduated licensing again

Postby crr003 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:09 am

Strangely Brown wrote:They have. 's' is the verb. 'c' is the noun.

Fair enough, but there's this;
BRAKE wrote:........introducing a novice license,..

User avatar
Strangely Brown
Posts: 558
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:06 pm
Location: Sussex

Re: Graduated licensing again

Postby Strangely Brown » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:57 am

OK. They got that one wrong. It's the last one in the article and just when they were doing so well. :)

Taffy
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:46 pm

Re: Graduated licensing again

Postby Taffy » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:59 pm

Not at all sure that BRAKE wrote that. I thought the article was written by Road Safety GB, and they were quoting something said by a member of BRAKE. But regardless of that surely we should look at the ideas, not whether somebody can spell, or whether their spell checker got it wrong?

User avatar
Strangely Brown
Posts: 558
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:06 pm
Location: Sussex

Re: Graduated licensing again

Postby Strangely Brown » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:14 pm

Taffy wrote:Not at all sure that BRAKE wrote that. I thought the article was written by Road Safety GB, and they were quoting something said by a member of BRAKE. But regardless of that surely we should look at the ideas, not whether somebody can spell, or whether their spell checker got it wrong?


As was pointed out by the OP: if you want to be taken seriously, you should pay attention to how you present your argument, and that includes the spelling. Saying that the spell checker got it wrong is a cop-out because you should not be relying one. They can be helpful but are far too fallible, and even more so if set to the wrong language.

As for BRAKE's ideas ...

User avatar
jont-
Posts: 924
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:12 am
Location: Flatlands

Re: Graduated licensing again

Postby jont- » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:22 pm

Strangely Brown wrote:Saying that the spell checker got it wrong is a cop-out because you should not be relying one.

Sometimes you need a grammar checker too ;)

Taffy
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:46 pm

Re: Graduated licensing again

Postby Taffy » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:48 pm

Strangely Brown wrote:
Taffy wrote:Not at all sure that BRAKE wrote that. I thought the article was written by Road Safety GB, and they were quoting something said by a member of BRAKE. But regardless of that surely we should look at the ideas, not whether somebody can spell, or whether their spell checker got it wrong?


As was pointed out by the OP: if you want to be taken seriously, you should pay attention to how you present your argument, and that includes the spelling. Saying that the spell checker got it wrong is a cop-out because you should not be relying one. They can be helpful but are far too fallible, and even more so if set to the wrong language.

As for BRAKE's ideas ...


The main point I was making is that I don't think BRAKE wrote the article.

As for BRAKE's ideas, surely IAM achieve quite a lot in 10 hours?

crr003
Posts: 447
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:32 pm

Re: Graduated licensing again

Postby crr003 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:51 pm

Taffy wrote:Not at all sure that BRAKE wrote that. I thought the article was written by Road Safety GB, and they were quoting something said by a member of BRAKE. But regardless of that surely we should look at the ideas, not whether somebody can spell, or whether their spell checker got it wrong?

OK, have this then:

http://www.brake.org.uk/media-centre/17 ... -in-the-uk

From which I found more inspirational concepts:

BRAKE definitely wrote:Learner drivers
Minimum learning period of one year before learner drivers can take their practical driving test, theory test and hazard awareness test.
The learner’s licence should not be fully valid until the learner driver has received a minimum of 10 hours’ professional tuition in a car with dual controls.
Learner drivers, as at present, must be supervised while driving, and the minimum age of accompanying drivers should be raised to 25.
Accompanying drivers should be registered as ‘approved accompanying drivers’ by completing a questionnaire to prove their suitability.
Learner drivers should have the same restrictions placed upon them as novice drivers (see below).


So, you have to wait a year to take the Theory/HP Test? At the end of the Practical bit? Or is that a minimum of a year studying for the Theory, then another year for the Practical?
Is that an hour a week for a year? Or five hours a week? Or 100 hours over a year? Who signs off on these hours?
BRAKE seems to imply that the "School of Mum and Dad" is the "go-to" method for teaching their offspring to drive a ton and a half of killing machine (notwithstanding that the parent passed its test 30/40 years ago, 'when all this were fields').
Not to worry - 10 hours with a professional will sort that out.
Accompanying drivers should be registered? Wow. Like an ADI?

If young drivers are such an issue, the answer is either make them drive more with a DVSA ADI (Car) of don't let them drive till they're 24.

User avatar
Horse
Posts: 1785
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:20 am

Re: Graduated licensing again

Postby Horse » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:01 pm

Strangely Brown wrote: . . . but are far too fallible, and even more


Oxford language? ;)

NB I would happily use a comma like that - rightly or wrongly :)
My own views. For better or worse :)


Return to “In The News”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest