Motorists should be penalised for going just 1mph over the speed limit, Britain’s road policing chief says

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.

jont-

Re: Motorists should be penalised for going just 1mph over the speed limit, Britain’s road policing chief says

Postby jont- » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:25 pm

Meanwhile Cambridge can't enforce their 20mph at all....
https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/c ... e-14228869

GTR1400MAN

Re: Motorists should be penalised for going just 1mph over the speed limit, Britain’s road policing chief says

Postby GTR1400MAN » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:48 pm

crr003 wrote:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5351539/Police-chief-makes-U-turn-speed-clampdown.html

On his fixed wheel cycle and back pedalling :)
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

M1ke H

Postby M1ke H » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:22 am

In fairness, the NPCC report of his comments when speaking at the National Roads Policing Conference, never mentions his intention to prosecute at anything over the posted limit, only "...don’t assume you have a free pass if you’re over the limit." wrt speed awareness courses.

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:37 pm

Taffy wrote:
Triquet wrote:People staring at the speedometers is likely to increase the incidence of rear end shunts.

Perhaps an alternative would be the use of Intelligent Speed Limiters? If your vehicle is incapable of exceeding the speed limit unless you specically take steps to override the ISL, you can significantly reduce the time that you need to spend looking at at the speedometer.

I never used to use the speed limiter on my cars in the past but I do now. My local authority has slapped down blanket 20mph speed limits. I don’t disagree with the limit if applied with thought rather than a blanket limit. Keeping under 30mph I have no difficulty with but I find 30mph is much more difficult. So I have the limiter pre set to 20mph which only requires me to tap on activation and job done.

jont-

Postby jont- » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:47 pm

jcochrane wrote:
Taffy wrote:
Triquet wrote:People staring at the speedometers is likely to increase the incidence of rear end shunts.

Perhaps an alternative would be the use of Intelligent Speed Limiters? If your vehicle is incapable of exceeding the speed limit unless you specically take steps to override the ISL, you can significantly reduce the time that you need to spend looking at at the speedometer.

I never used to use the speed limiter on my cars in the past but I do now. My local authority has slapped down blanket 20mph speed limits. I don’t disagree with the limit if applied with thought rather than a blanket limit. Keeping under 30mph I have no difficulty with but I find 30mph is much more difficult. So I have the limiter pre set to 20mph which only requires me to tap on activation and job done.

On a related note, I'd rather see zero tolerance to speeding in 30s than a continued proliferation of 20s with inconsistent and patchy enforcement.

Return to “General Chat”