Motorists should be penalised for going just 1mph over the speed limit, Britain’s road policing chief says

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
Horse

Re: Motorists should be penalised for going just 1mph over the speed limit, Britain’s road policing chief says

Postby Horse » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:53 pm

crr003 wrote: Well obviously I'd be claiming grandfather rights......................

:) :) :)

crr003 wrote: But the concept of "driving is a right, not a privilege" is somehow engraved in people.

Actually not that easy to get these days.

crr003 wrote: Theory Test is really not fit for purpose

Although the HPT has been shown to have had a significant result on reducing crashes, I think it could still be improved.

crr003 wrote: The funniest are the ones who say "I only failed by one!" when they got 42/50. They failed by eight.

I wonder if 'Silver' RoSPA test pass holders see that as a 'fail'?
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

jont-

Re: Motorists should be penalised for going just 1mph over the speed limit, Britain’s road policing chief says

Postby jont- » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:59 pm

Horse wrote:So it's back to the same question: what safety-related content can 'advanced' training provide that the current L system, with subsequent on-road experience, can't?

The AA admits that many insurers are refusing to give discounts for Pass Plus. A spokesman says: 'Pass Plus has got a bad name. Quite simply, the claims figures show that there is no difference between drivers who have Pass Plus and those who don't.'

I wonder if the AA also tested how many instructors would simply hand over a pass plus "pass" for some cash, rather than actually delivering the course content? And whether there's any data about who did pass plus and why (was it because they'd fallen off an needed a refresher/insurance reduction, or because they were under confident in the first place?)

martine

Postby martine » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:14 pm

Graduated Driver Licencing (GDL) has been proven to provide a better crash risk for new drivers. It's used in Australia, Canada, many US states. Apart from keeping newbies away from the more risky situations, it also encourages the thought that there is more to driving than passing one test (or 2 if you include the HPT) i.e. continuous development.

GDL comes in different forms but often includes a selection from:
  • night curfew
  • lower speed limit
  • lower alcohol limit
  • restriction on driving with other young people
  • taking a 2nd test after a time period
  • lower points limit before ban
We already have GDL in the UK or motorcycle licensing.

I think rather than the restrictions being lifted automatically after a fixed time period, they should be lifted more quickly on completion of further training.

...and IAM/ROSPA holders should be able to treat NSL as unrestricted! :D
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

Horse

Postby Horse » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:36 pm

The Association of British Insurers did a ten year study of Pass Plus 'graduates', so I suppose they have a fairly good idea of its effectiveness compared to non-takers.

dvenman

Postby dvenman » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:32 am

There was a discussion on BBC Radio 4 a few days ago - about 26:30 into http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09pjgmq

During the discussion, Rebecca Jackson said she has "seven tips for safer driving" but didn't get the chance to elaborate. She did publish them on LinkedIn - https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/rebecca-jacksons-7-top-tips-becoming-safer-road-driver-jackson/?published=t

Now, keeping a safe distance and concentrating on the task in hand don't really make an appearance. What would your top tips be?

Triquet

Postby Triquet » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:23 am

Basically, if you're going to drive, don't do it rubbish.

Horse

Postby Horse » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:45 am

Triquet wrote:Basically, if you're going to drive, don't do it rubbish.

It's a non-contact sport. Play nicely ;)

Triquet

Postby Triquet » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:02 pm

Horse wrote:
Triquet wrote:Basically, if you're going to drive, don't do it rubbish.

It's a non-contact sport. Play nicely ;)

That's it.

TR4ffic

Postby TR4ffic » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:01 am

Horse wrote:See my earlier post about a colleague who was done for 41 in a 40. There's a twist: he supplied the evidence. IIRC Camera van was saying 48, but he had a GPS log which showed 41. Magistrates accepted his evidence and found him guilty anyway.

At the time you posted this I was thinking this decision/conviction was a bit harsh... but, thinking on, doesn't 'reasonable doubt' apply to convictions in a Magistrates Court?

He provided evidence that cast reasonable doubt over the 48mph speed the prosecution stated he was doing and, therefore, he must have been not guilty.

Don't Magistrates Courts work like that?

...and, as they accepted his evidence that he was doing 41mph, doesn't the 10%+2 still apply?

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:37 am

10%+2 is AFAIK just guidance.

How the Mags work, I don't know.

Return to “General Chat”