Motorists should be penalised for going just 1mph over the speed limit, Britain’s road policing chief says

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
Triquet

Re: Motorists should be penalised for going just 1mph over the speed limit, Britain’s road policing chief says

Postby Triquet » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:17 pm

Abomination is about right. The first time I drove a stop/start was a hire car out of Oslo airport some five years ago when these things were a novelty. I thought I was just stalling and hadn't a clue as to WTF was going on, and I was a nervous wreck before I got onto the motorway.

jont-

Re: Motorists should be penalised for going just 1mph over the speed limit, Britain’s road policing chief says

Postby jont- » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:24 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:
martine wrote:
GTR1400MAN wrote:...My Clio has it to get through some emissions hoops. I have to turn it off each time I start the engine as it can't be permanently switched off.

Why do you turn it off?

Seriously?

Because it keeps turning the engine off!

OK, I'll explain.

It's just an abomination. Pull up at a RAB. Engine stops. Sit observing waiting for a suitable gap. See a gap. Time when to join. Press accelerator. Engine starts. Car selects first gear. Car starts to move. Ohhhh **** we've wasted too much time. Apply brake. Engine turns off. Repeat at every junction on a busy cross town drive.

If I'm going to be stopped a long time (say at railway crossing) I can turn the engine off myself.

As Angus has said the battery is marginally fit for purpose and a lot of the time even when it would be beneficial the engine fires back into life (or never turns off) as you have the radio, heated rear window, heated mirrors and air con switched on.

This was all experienced in the first two weeks of ownership. It was a novelty when everything went quiet. Now the routine is ...

Seatbelts on. Foot on brake. Press start button. Press stop/start disable. Select gear. Drive.

It does seem an auto-specific problem. On a manual once the clutch goes down, the car starts, so you can at least use that to anticipate. SWMBOs car has it, and while I don't like it (from an unnecessary complexity PoV that rarely gets used since we live in the sticks), it's never actually caught me out.

I had my first experience a couple of years ago in a hire car in Italy. Basically made it unsafe to pull out onto roundabouts for exactly the reason you describe.

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:35 pm

Mr Loophole says that it ain't gonna happen.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/01/31/penalising-motorists-going-1mph-limit-legally-unenforceable/

I suspect that, as suggested, it's a publicity stunt to get himself some press time.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:45 pm

Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

waremark

Postby waremark » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:21 pm

I am happy with stop start in our two auto cars. It is easy to get the engine to start if you want it to in preparation for pulling away. The Renault implementation of this and DSG sounds problematical. I am happy to have a manual Renaultsport car.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:24 pm

waremark wrote:I am happy with stop start in our two auto cars. It is easy to get the engine to start if you want it to in preparation for pulling away.

How, other than lift your foot off the brake?
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

waremark

Postby waremark » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:44 am

GTR1400MAN wrote:
waremark wrote:I am happy with stop start in our two auto cars. It is easy to get the engine to start if you want it to in preparation for pulling away.

Reduce the pressure on the brake pedal without releasing it enough to start moving, or touching accelerator while left foot braking.

In a manual car, I have to avoid double declutching into first or the engine stops as the clutch comes out in neutral.

Horse

Postby Horse » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:17 am

GTR1400MAN wrote:

At least that might stop dazzling the person in the queue behind you . . .
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

angus

Postby angus » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:18 am

Fortuneately (?), having a diesel, the engine only cuts out with the parking brake on, in neutral and clutch pedal up.

I find that it's an excellent combination for turning traffic lights to green

titian

Postby titian » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:59 am

The root of tfhe problem never seems to be addressed, is it too big an issue, are there too many drivers out there to even contemplate further training to improve driving standards on a national front. The police chief has the answer right there on his desk - perhaps!

"The Roadcraft system of car control has been used for over 75 years by police drivers. It is an integral part of the Roadcraft driver and rider handbooks, and remains unchanged to this day.

Based on the system of 'right place, right time, right speed and right gear', the Roadcraft system of car control is simple but highly effective. Originally taught at Hendon Driving School in 1937, it subsequently reduced the Metropolitan Police's accident rate by over two thirds

Now that would be something to shout about.

Return to “General Chat”