Motorists should be penalised for going just 1mph over the speed limit, Britain’s road policing chief says

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
Horse

Re: Motorists should be penalised for going just 1mph over the speed limit, Britain’s road policing chief says

Postby Horse » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:31 pm

jont- wrote:If the goal of speed limits is a realistic safe maximum for a section of road Then you can get into discussing whether penalties for exceeding them make sense.

I think there are moves to use lower speed limits to improve air quality.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

jont-

Re: Motorists should be penalised for going just 1mph over the speed limit, Britain’s road policing chief says

Postby jont- » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:07 pm

Horse wrote:
jont- wrote:If the goal of speed limits is a realistic safe maximum for a section of road Then you can get into discussing whether penalties for exceeding them make sense.

I think there are moves to use lower speed limits to improve air quality.

Ah yes, better we live longer so we can spend more time in our cars getting around :roll:

If we need any sort of limits, it's more minimum speed limits.

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:15 pm

jont- wrote:
Horse wrote:I think there are moves to use lower speed limits to improve air quality.

Ah yes, better we live longer so we can spend more time in our cars getting around :roll:

If we need any sort of limits, it's more minimum speed limits.

Perhaps spare a thought for the health of those who live, walk and cycle alongside the roads?

Published today:
http://www.ciht.org.uk/en/media-centre/ ... uth-london
Brixton Road has reached its annual air pollution limit for 2018 inside one month.
The south London congestion hotspot became the first road in the capital to meet the limit of acceptable exposure to nitrogen dioxide for the second year running. But the situation seems to have improved slightly, as last year Brixton Road reached its annual limit in just five days

jont- wrote: If we need any sort of limits, it's more minimum speed limits.

Yes, that'll work well when the roads are congested . . .

jont-

Postby jont- » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:38 pm

Horse wrote:
jont- wrote:
Horse wrote:I think there are moves to use lower speed limits to improve air quality.

Perhaps spare a thought for the health of those who live, walk and cycle alongside the roads?

Published today:
http://www.ciht.org.uk/en/media-centre/ ... uth-london
Brixton Road has reached its annual air pollution limit for 2018 inside one month.
The south London congestion hotspot became the first road in the capital to meet the limit of acceptable exposure to nitrogen dioxide for the second year running. But the situation seems to have improved slightly, as last year Brixton Road reached its annual limit in just five days

I don't have much sympathy for anyone stupid enough to live or try and drive in a big city. Did you see the article about noise levels on the tube being high enough to damage hearing? Perhaps we should ban the underground too.

Horse wrote:
jont- wrote: If we need any sort of limits, it's more minimum speed limits.

Yes, that'll work well when the roads are congested . . .

Take enough licenses away from people and we can fix that one too ;)

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:54 pm

jont- wrote: I don't have much sympathy for anyone stupid enough to live or try and drive in a big city.

It's not just in urban areas like high streets, pollution levels are also increasing alongside major arterial routes, coincidentally where Highways England are considering implementing variable speed limits to improve flow and so reduce emissions from the acceleration-braking cycle.

And before you condemn that idea from NICE . . .
Speed bumps, a current favourite with local authorities, are less favourable, as there is a chance they increase emissions rather than reduce them.

jont- wrote: about noise levels on the tube being high enough to damage hearing? Perhaps we should ban the underground too.

No, perhaps we should consider doing something about it? After all, we stopped children being sent up the chimneys and crawling under the looms, then progressed onto other successful health and safety at work aspects - so why should travellers endure harm on the way to and from work?

jont- wrote: Take enough licenses away from people and we can fix that one too ;)

So you'll have an empty road - but will still have to travel slowly ;)

jont-

Postby jont- » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:58 pm

Horse wrote:
jont- wrote: I don't have much sympathy for anyone stupid enough to live or try and drive in a big city.

It's not just in urban areas like high streets, pollution levels are also increasing alongside major arterial routes, coincidentally where Highways England are considering implementing variable speed limits to improve flow and so reduce emissions from the acceleration-braking cycle.

Again, reducing the number of drivers would improve flow, then we could let them go faster and you'd still have lower emissions overall.

Hell, why not just ban the car and make everyone walk everywhere? :hit:

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:03 pm

Pollution is going up , yet every junction redesign (certainly in Ipswich), is made to slow cars down and reduce flow (traffic lights, removing lanes, adding bollards to prevent 2 lanes where only single is designated, changing RABs from dual entry to single ... I could go on).

Vehicles sitting still cause more pollution
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:32 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote: Vehicles sitting still cause more pollution

Do any bikes have engine stop-start systems? [Yes filtering yada yada ;) ]

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:38 pm

Horse wrote:Do any bikes have engine stop-start systems? [Yes filtering yada yada ;) ]

Some of the scooters do. Honda PCX125 has (had?) it.

I don't know of any 'real' motorcycles that do (big wheels, not step thru etc).

My Clio has it to get through some emissions hoops. I have to turn it off each time I start the engine as it can't be permanently switched off.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:45 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote: My Clio has it to get through some emissions hoops. I have to turn it off each time I start the engine as it can't be permanently switched off on off on off on off on off

ftfy ;)

Return to “General Chat”