NDORS - does it work?

Articles of interest to the AD community, currently in the news.
crr003

NDORS - does it work?

Postby crr003 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:43 pm

Good to know that while huge companies are floundering in these interesting times, NDORS is going from strength to strength.........

http://www.abd.org.uk/press-release-new ... on-income/

Does anyone know the level of re-offending? Do these courses actually improve road safety or would a simple "you're nicked - here's 3 points" properly administered be a more effective solution?

jont-

Re: NDORS - does it work?

Postby jont- » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:16 pm

If we were serious about road safety, we'd be much better at taking away licenses from people who repeatedly demonstrate they don't care about the law (I'm looking at the "exceptional hardship" loophole here). Although really I'd like to see /many, many/ more have licenses removed, which might nicely improve congestion and air quality too.

Jonquirk

Postby Jonquirk » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:21 pm

And encourage the rest.

martine

Postby martine » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:14 pm

https://ndors.org.uk/files/6614/4983/2018/Final_Speed_Awareness_Evaluation_Report_v1.4.pdf
This is only speed awareness from a few years ago and only reports how the course attendees found it...not their re-offending rates. I expect there is a report for that somewhere.

Speaking personally, the majority of attendees of the 'Driver Alertness Course' (NDAC) I have 'educated' seem to be genuinely thankful by the time I've finished with them!

The attendees usually follow the pattern of: turning up for the morning theory session, pretty grumpy/nervous/resentful/impatient/in denial - and by the time lunchtime comes most have realised they've learned some useful stuff and there is more to driving than they thought.

Then during the afternoon practical driving sessions we get into some great debates about driving, safety and habits and most (not all) engage well with the instructors. The course is based around 'C.O.A.S.T.' Almost without exception when I leave them at the end of the day they shake my hand, smile and thank me saying how useful it's been.
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:29 pm

martine wrote: Speaking personally, the majority of attendees of the 'Driver Alertness Course' (NDAC) I have 'educated' seem to be genuinely thankful to get out of the door by the time I've finished

ftfy ;)

We used to have 'speed' courses on the site adjacent. A colleague was walking across the car park one morning, about 100yds away he heard a car howling onto the site, stereo blasting. It squealed to a halt alongside him, the occupant asked where the speed courses were? Car howled back out again . . . Hopefully to learn something.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

martine

Postby martine » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:43 pm

Horse wrote:
martine wrote: Speaking personally, the majority of attendees of the 'Driver Alertness Course' (NDAC) I have 'educated' seem to be genuinely thankful to get out of the door by the time I've finished

ftfy ;)

:lol:

On a more serious note...isn't driver education why most people are here?
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

Return to “In The News”