Riding a bicycle without brakes

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
Strangely Brown

Re: Riding a bicycle without brakes

Postby Strangely Brown » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:57 am

Patient: Doctor, it hurts when I do this. <raises arm>
Doctor: Well don't do that then.

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:06 am

ancient wrote:
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:
exportmanuk wrote:It is true that 7000 people are killed in motor accidents, but it is not always going on like that..

because their relationship with motor vehicles is not tainted by the spirit of Moore-Brabazon.

And M-B was - perhaps wrongly ;) - right. Far fewer these days.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

jont-

Postby jont- » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:54 am

ancient wrote:It's an argument that has been going on for some time and more civilised nations have better public spaces, because their relationship with motor vehicles is not tainted by the spirit of Moore-Brabazon.

More civilised nations have either lower population densities or a less precious attitude about preserving stuff for the sake of it, rather than adapting to match modern needs (yes, I'm looking at old city centres where the appropriate response should be knock it down and start again if you really want segregation for different means of transport).

mainbeam

Postby mainbeam » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:16 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:
Anyone could claim they'd been hit, without the need for evidence/witnesses...]
That wouldn't suffice. The claimant would still need to show that there was a collision and that the defendant was involved.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:16 am

mainbeam wrote:
GTR1400MAN wrote:
Anyone could claim they'd been hit, without the need for evidence/witnesses...]
That wouldn't suffice. The claimant would still need to show that there was a collision and that the defendant was involved.

In which case I'm being a bit dense and you'll need to explain how it is different to now where you would need some corroboration of what has happened. Surely you can't have witness say that a cyclist rode across the path of a car without any regard for their safety and then say the car driver is liable for hitting them?
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

gannet

Postby gannet » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:01 pm

jcochrane wrote:It appears to me that in the two clips the pedestrians stepped into the path of the oncoming riders whilst looking the wrong way.

If a pedestrian steps into the path of a two wheeled vehicle, even if travelling at slow speed, the rider has little chance. In fact even if they can avoid hitting the pedestrian they are likely to fall off and be injured.

Well... a little update...

Seems I've had a one too many near misses - seems I can't always stop - ouch...

Pedestrian crossing the road between the stationary traffic I was overtaking... collision speed 14.3mph.

Fortunately we are both OK - if a little bruised (nice black eye for Christmas...)!

Learning point to me - include MPV type vehicles in the category I can't properly see past/over, really wouldn't have wanted to be travelling much slower than I was at the time given everything else happening around me.

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:07 pm

gannet wrote:
jcochrane wrote:It appears to me that in the two clips the pedestrians stepped into the path of the oncoming riders whilst looking the wrong way.

If a pedestrian steps into the path of a two wheeled vehicle, even if travelling at slow speed, the rider has little chance. In fact even if they can avoid hitting the pedestrian they are likely to fall off and be injured.

Well... a little update...

Seems I've had a one too many near misses - seems I can't always stop - ouch...

Pedestrian crossing the road between the stationary traffic I was overtaking... collision speed 14.3mph.

Fortunately we are both OK - if a little bruised (nice black eye for Christmas...)!

Learning point to me - include MPV type vehicles in the category I can't properly see past/over, really wouldn't have wanted to be travelling much slower than I was at the time given everything else happening around me.

Sorry to hear about your mishap and glad it was nothing worse..

Return to “General Chat”