Telematics - feedback and findings

Articles of interest to the AD community, currently in the news.
Horse

Telematics - feedback and findings

Postby Horse » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:40 am

Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

IcedKiwi

Re: Telematics - feedback and findings

Postby IcedKiwi » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:05 am

Sarah Vaughan, head of pricing at Insurethebox wrote:When you are on a country road with a 60mph limit, you shouldn’t be doing anywhere near 60mph

If these are the types of people in charge of making decisions as to what constitutes safe driving then it's pretty worrying

akirk

Postby akirk » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:09 am

IcedKiwi wrote:
Sarah Vaughan, head of pricing at Insurethebox wrote:When you are on a country road with a 60mph limit, you shouldn’t be doing anywhere near 60mph

If these are the types of people in charge of making decisions as to what constitutes safe driving then it's pretty worrying

Which side of 60 should you be - I have no issue with keeping away from 60 :D

Alasdair

jont-

Postby jont- » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:12 am

"About one-third of drivers drive too fast for the conditions on the road,"
Really? How can they possibly know?

"I look at my speedometer more than I used to, and I’m careful not to speed. If I don’t know the speed limit I tend to stick to 30. I think it definitely makes you a safer driver."
Oh dear :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: Hope you don't crash into someone because you're looking at the speedo and not the child about to run out :roll:

akirk

Postby akirk » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:14 am

Speed is the root of all motoring evil. “If there’s one thing young drivers need to do, it’s to slow down. Speed is the single biggest contributor to risk. About one-third of drivers drive too fast for the conditions on the road,” says Vaughan. Her data shows that drivers who speed 20% of the time increase their risk of having an accident by 87%.

In fact all that tells you is that bad drivers also speed - it doesn't at a statistical level directly tell you that speed causes the accidents...

If I don’t know the speed limit I tend to stick to 30.

mmm - say no more...

the problem we have is that decision makers make their decisions based on partial facts - so they will grab the headline news and lower speed limits / ban young drivers from country roads / etc. rather than seeing the outcome of behavioural change and asking can they actually use behavioural change for the positive, not negative...

Alasdair

jont-

Postby jont- » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:20 am

Most politicians seem to be functionally innumerate, so even if you can present them with data they don't know how to understand it.

exportmanuk

Postby exportmanuk » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:12 pm

“What young people need is more help in understanding where it is inappropriate to driven near the limit.”

That bit I agree with but a black box is not going to help that.

Yesterday I had the unfortunate experience of being driven by potential son in law. I though I did very well to appear reasonably relaxed at the side of him Like many younger ( 30ish) people very focused on what he wanted to do and no thought about what other people might be expected to do.

On the return journey I nicely ( but firmly) suggested that I drive back. I may have my work cut out for the next few months, but he is not allowed to drive my grandson until I'm happier with his roadcraft

There may have be a threat issued :hit: or even two :judge:
Andrew Melton
Manchester 500

fungus

Postby fungus » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:07 pm

IcedKiwi wrote:

Exactly.

What a load of utter tosh this report is. You'd deffinately fail a DVSA L test if you drove well below the 60mph limit if it was safe to drive to the limit and you were holding up other trafic.

jont- wrote:"About one-third of drivers drive too fast for the conditions on the road,"
Really? How can they possibly know?

"I look at my speedometer more than I used to, and I’m careful not to speed. If I don’t know the speed limit I tend to stick to 30. I think it definitely makes you a safer driver."
Oh dear :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: Hope you don't crash into someone because you're looking at the speedo and not the child about to run out :roll:

My feelings exactly.

akirk wrote:
IcedKiwi wrote:

Which side of 60 should you be - I have no issue with keeping away from 60 :D

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Nigel.

Alasdair

Return to “In The News”