BRAKE - good news and bad news?

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
fungus

Re: BRAKE - good news and bad news?

Postby fungus » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:19 pm

You are correct. Most don't read these books, and learn their theory using apps.

Many are rarely, if ever taken onto rural roads. Where I live near Wimborne Minster in Dorset I am lucky in that I have access to virtually all types of road from the busy towns of Poole and Bournemouth to small market towns like Wareham, Blandford Forum, and Sturminster Newton. Also the county town of Dorchester with its three lane section A37 by pass, allong with NSL dual carriageways and single carriageway roads. I am also in reach of several single track roads and some good NSL B roads, the B3081 to Shaftesbury incoporating Zig Zag Hill springs to mind. :racing:

Most young drivers think that the speed limit is a safe speed, and are then surprised when they encounter a bendy single track NSL road. This NSL road in Corfe Mullen usually causes comments like,"It should have a 30 mph limit.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.78092 ... 312!8i6656

The usual reply is, "Could you stop at 30mph if a tractor was coming in the opposite direction?"
I rest my case.

Nigel.

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:42 pm

Would new signs on rural roads help?

fungus

Postby fungus » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:35 pm

Strangely Brown wrote:Would new signs on rural roads help?

No. They would cause too much distraction for some. There are already too many unecessary signs.

Nigel.

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:39 pm

One year, the Oz F1 was sponsored by a beer company, with a huge banner hung across the track. Next year, different sponsor but similar banner: "You'd have to be a **** to drink and drive".
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:44 am

akirk wrote:How does a 'voluntary' system help drivers keep to a speed limit? or is Voluntary Intelligent Speed Adaption a pseudonym for someone's brain?!

Alasdair

Yes I think it is, or should be.

vanman

Postby vanman » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:40 pm

Strangely Brown wrote:Would new signs on rural roads help?

Afraid it would take toooooo long for some to work it out :(

GeoffGrayer

Postby GeoffGrayer » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:47 pm

They have done that on a road I often drive along, the B4494 between Newbury and Wantage. It is 60mph along much of its length from Newbury (though there are many bends, and even worse, narrow bits, where you have to slow down. Then you come to the Oxfordshire boundary, and the limit changes to 50. No reason why - the characteristics of the road are similar. Some bends have an 'advisary' speed limit - of course, they have to err on the side of caution, so it is much too slow for a good car in good conditions, but might be disasterous on an icy day! It doesn't stop me being passed by motorcyclists on the straight stretches, who seem to see it as a challenge to exceed a ton. But the greatest danger are cyclists, which can appear round any corner, the road not being wide enough for a cyclist and two cars.
Geoff.

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:48 pm

GeoffGrayer wrote:But the greatest danger are cyclists, which can appear round any corner, the road not being wide enough for a cyclist and two cars.

It's worth thinking about how that sentence is phrased and asking if the meaning it carries conveys similar danger to all the mentioned road users.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

GeoffGrayer

Postby GeoffGrayer » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:13 am

Obviously I somehow missed out the "to". Slip of the keyboard. - Geoff.

Triquet

Postby Triquet » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:40 am

GeoffGrayer wrote:They have done that on a road I often drive along, the B4494 between Newbury and Wantage. It is 60mph along much of its length from Newbury (though there are many bends, and even worse, narrow bits, where you have to slow down. Then you come to the Oxfordshire boundary, and the limit changes to 50. No reason why - the characteristics of the road are similar. Some bends have an 'advisary' speed limit - of course, they have to err on the side of caution, so it is much too slow for a good car in good conditions, but might be disasterous on an icy day! It doesn't stop me being passed by motorcyclists on the straight stretches, who seem to see it as a challenge to exceed a ton. But the greatest danger are cyclists, which can appear round any corner, the road not being wide enough for a cyclist and two cars.
Geoff.

I dislike that road: it's a pig at night-time.

Return to “General Chat”