Driving instructors and learners - do they drive like each other?

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
akirk

Re: Masters assessment

Postby akirk » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:00 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:Why would it need to look far ahead? It is driving reactively to external influences on the route it wishes to take. Just like the majority of road users. :(

one simple reason might be to allow cars to reroute and avoid issues... arguably if the intelligence was there it might see a tractor ahead as it came up to a junction and therefore choose a different option - for me, locally where I might have several choices of route - spotting farm traffic in the summer might influence choice of route... but I doubt the programmers will think of that!

Alasdair

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:09 pm

Err, perhaps I needed a sarcasm simile. Is there one?
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Re: Driving instructors and learners - do they drive like each other?

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:21 pm

This thread has now been split off KevT's "Masters Assessment" one. Please do not return to that thread and drag it off topic even more.

More posts moved - to the "cognitive bias" thread. No more mention of gorillas, or anything related, in this thread, please, unless specifically relevant to the topic at hand - which is ADIs and learners.
Nick

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:34 pm

akirk wrote:... but I doubt the programmers will think of that!

Alasdair

Why not? Surely if you can think of it, someone else can?

However, from what I know of AV development, I won't expect it anytime soon ;) I heard someone say that AVs ought to have 'L' plates :)
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

waremark

Postby waremark » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:59 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:I have hill start assist on my Clio. I try not to use it, but can't switch it off. It feels like being a champagne cork coming out of a bottle. :(

Sutely you can avoid activating it by holding the car on the handbrake. Or you can activate it but move off smoothly by getting the timing just right?

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:58 am

GTR1400MAN wrote:Err, perhaps I needed a sarcasm simile. Is there one?

Indeed. You could say you are "as sarcastic as Oscar Wilde" :twisted:

:cheers:
Nick

Horse

Postby Horse » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:06 am

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:
GTR1400MAN wrote:Err, perhaps I needed a sarcasm simile. Is there one?

Indeed. You could say you are "as sarcastic as Oscar Wilde" :twisted:

:cheers:

Wilde? He was livid! (Thanks to NTNON & Gerald - when threads collide ;) )
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:36 am

waremark wrote:
GTR1400MAN wrote:I have hill start assist on my Clio. I try not to use it, but can't switch it off. It feels like being a champagne cork coming out of a bottle. :(

Sutely you can avoid activating it by holding the car on the handbrake. Or you can activate it but move off smoothly by getting the timing just right?

Yes, using the handbrake avoids it. However what about those momentary stops where you wouldn't use the handbrake? A firm dab in the brakes as you do your observation, off the brake and the car hovers and then your away. In this situation you find the brakes are now clamped on.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Rolyan

Postby Rolyan » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:41 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:
waremark wrote:

Yes, using the handbrake avoids it. However what about those momentary stops where you wouldn't use the handbrake? A firm dab in the brakes as you do your observation, off the brake and the car hovers and then your away. In this situation you find the brakes are now clamped on.

Shirley this should be moved into a "how to do a hill start with modern technology" thread.

Is there a heavy handed moderation simile I can use?

Rolyan

Postby Rolyan » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:54 pm

Horse wrote:
ancient wrote:
Rolyan wrote:+1

Plus, he said that there was no point whatsoever in developing observation. All he needed to look at was the distance he could stop in at his speed. so travelling at 30mph, he only needed to know what was happening 75 feet away.

Now that explains a lot ... an awful lot!

It's an interesting viewpoint (sic), because the things that are going to get you are, by and large, those closer to you (by definition, really, because if they're not close then they are unlikely to be in collision with you). So if someone drives in such a manner that they can stop if necessary, then shouldn't that be applauded? It's all well and having great observation skills and seeing a hazard approaching from space ;) , but that's a 'nice' rather than a 'necessary'.

No, it's a necessary, not a nice.

Those things that are going to get you are close, but at one point were not close. So by spotting/anticipating them early enough, you can plan to deal with them before they get close enough to get you.

I know that you know that, and I know that you know that I know that you know it, but this idiot of an ADI didnt know it. He genuinely thought that reactive driving was the best, safest way to drive.

To be fair, the driving instructors near me don't drive the same as learners. Missing speed limits, not signalling when required, signalling when not required, failing to make progress when appropriate, a lack of observation, anticipation and planning, poor road positioning, no knowledge of rev matching etc etc etc. The learners however are much better.

To me, the difference between ADIs and learner drivers is about attitude. Many learner drivers accept that they have something to learn.

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”