Call to fit automated speed limiting technology to cars

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
GeoffGrayer

Re: Call to fit automated speed limiting technology to cars

Postby GeoffGrayer » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:39 pm

Could I add my thought? Rather than have a speed limiting device (which could be dangerous in some cases where an extra bit of speed can improve safety, eg when overtaking), why not have an in-car sound (striking bell?) which warns when the speed limit is being exceeded, is annoying, and cannot be switched off. But I fear with all these devices, man's ingenuity will come up with some way of overriding them (ear plugs in this case seems obvious!).
PS Of course, I NEVER exceed the speed limit, otherwise my IAM Membership could be taken away!

RiK

Postby RiK » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:39 pm

GeoffGrayer wrote:why not have an in-car sound (striking bell?) which warns when the speed limit is being exceeded,

Many in-car navigation systems *do* have such a notification already. Both the one built into my car, and the one I use on my phone (Co-Pilot) have audio warnings when above the speed limit.

(Apparently)
Richard Olpin: Bristol IAM: Training Officer, IAM: Masters (Dist), IMI National Observer, LOA. Gloucestershire Constabulary SC6240.

Taffy

Postby Taffy » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:06 pm

GeoffGrayer wrote:Could I add my thought? Rather than have a speed limiting device (which could be dangerous in some cases where an extra bit of speed can improve safety, eg when overtaking), why not have an in-car sound (striking bell?) which warns when the speed limit is being exceeded, is annoying, and cannot be switched off.

I often drive a car with a speed limiter fitted, and absolutely love it. I would love it to be automatically set to the current speed limit, instead of having to set it manually. One less thing to have to think about, and a little more time spent looking outside the vehicle. As for the extra speed that I may want for an overtake, if I floor the accelerator it temporarily switches off the speed limiter. I assumed this would be a feature of "automated speed limiting technology". I drive another car with a sat nav that sounds an alarm if I exceed the limit. It's fine, but a second best for me.

I'll buy into automated speed limiting as soon as I can.

exportmanuk

Postby exportmanuk » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:01 pm

So what do you do for the bozo who thinks the speed limit is the safe speed and runs wide on a left hand bend killing several people coming the other way.

Road safety should be Education, Engineering then Enforcement in that order. :soap:
Andrew Melton
Manchester 500

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:16 pm

Taffy wrote:I'll buy into automated speed limiting as soon as I can.

Taffy

Postby Taffy » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:24 pm

exportmanuk wrote:So what do you do for the bozo who thinks the speed limit is the safe speed and runs wide on a left hand bend killing several people coming the other way.

Road safety should be Education, Engineering then Enforcement in that order. :soap:

I read a lot about bozos who think the speed limit is the safe speed but I've never met one in real life that I know of. I have met a number of people who think they are good enough to drive above the speed limit, and know many people who are trying to put their lives back together after meeting such a person.

I don't have a problem with your priorities, but that doesn't mean we should ignore advances in engineering while we are trying to sort out Education.

crr003

Postby crr003 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:44 pm

Taffy wrote:I often drive a car with a speed limiter fitted, and absolutely love it. I would love it to be automatically set to the current speed limit, instead of having to set it manually. One less thing to have to think about, and a little more time spent looking outside the vehicle. As for the extra speed that I may want for an overtake, if I floor the accelerator it temporarily switches off the speed limiter. I assumed this would be a feature of "automated speed limiting technology". I drive another car with a sat nav that sounds an alarm if I exceed the limit. It's fine, but a second best for me.

I'll buy into automated speed limiting as soon as I can.

If you're simply looking for a maximum speed limiter, then it works, but........

Say the road you're on had a 50 limit. Say there is a bend coming up that normal people would take at 30. How does the speed limiter help when people start driving with their foot to the floor as they believe the council/government has set the speed limit, so "it must be safe"?

Taffy

Postby Taffy » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:03 pm

Strangely Brown wrote:
Taffy wrote:I'll buy into automated speed limiting as soon as I can.

I see the irony. Jean-Luc would be the first person to use technology to control any part of space travel that didn't need human intervention, freeing up his crew to make the decisions that require human intelligence.

Taffy

Postby Taffy » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:18 pm

crr003 wrote:If you're simply looking for a maximum speed limiter, then it works, but........

That's exactly what I am looking for.

crr003 wrote:Say the road you're on had a 50 limit. Say there is a bend coming up that normal people would take at 30. How does the speed limiter help when people start driving with their foot to the floor as they believe the council/government has set the speed limit, so "it must be safe"?

If there really are people who can pass the driving test believing that a speed limit must be a safe speed, then we have a real problem. I just cannot believe that it would be possible for such a person to pass the test.

Return to “General Chat”