Limited Slip Diffs?

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
devonutopia

Re: Limited Slip Diffs?

Postby devonutopia » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:28 pm

ChristianAB wrote:Be aware that when driving on snow/ice, LSD might be useful...although that's less of an issue here than it is on the continent

I've only had this once! :car: Was parking near work on one of those winter days about 5 years ago (bearing in mind Devon gets little snow really) and the first 2 foot of the road from the edge was pack snow/ice, and I was able to manouvere on to it, and easily off it, just putting drive to the right front wheel which was on clear asphalt. Was impressive, but that opportunity probably won't arise again.

waremark

Postby waremark » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:45 pm

I had an M3 with a claiming to be very clever E diff. I tried it once on a snowy surface with a very gentle slope. I couldn't move. What you need on a slippery surface are suitable tyres - rear wheel drive cars with winter tyres have no problems. It is about time I put mine on (on a 4 wheel drive car, they stayed on all summer on a less used 2 rear wheel drive car).

Have I drifted away from LSD's?

Rolyan

Postby Rolyan » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:51 pm

jcochrane wrote:Not an MX5. Something with more creature comforts, even heated seats.....well it’s my age that’s what I say.

My MX5 has full leather heated seats, air conditioning, a really powerful heater, 4 speaker sound system....and a cup holder or 2.....what more creature comforts do you need?

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:38 pm

Rolyan wrote:
jcochrane wrote:Not an MX5. Something with more creature comforts, even heated seats.....well it’s my age that’s what I say.

My MX5 has full leather heated seats, air conditioning, a really powerful heater, 4 speaker sound system....and a cup holder or 2.....what more creature comforts do you need?

Now that sounds more like it. I was out with someone today who not only had seats that could be heated but cooled as well. Although I was a bit put off when he said it was like sitting in a puddle of water. All very well having cup holders but does the Mx5 also make the coffee?

I will PM you over the next few days re. the kind offer.

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:16 pm

Heated leather seats + wet trousers (e.g. from being out in the rain) = uncomfortable feeling you've had a little "accident" :?
Nick

dvenman

Postby dvenman » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:35 am

And seat cooling isn't necessarily all that effective. 45 minutes of black seats in a convertible, open to the Utah sun in August, needed a towel over the driver's seat to be even bearable!

GeoffGrayer

Postby GeoffGrayer » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:12 am

I lived for 11 years in Geneva/neighbouring France (while working at CERN), and in the winter one had to expect snow and ice at any time. In addition I used to drive into the mountains for skiing at the weekend. At the beginning of winter we used to change to studed tyres, and it was compulsary to carry chains on some roads. In this sort of situation, I could imagine an LSD could be very useful (I drove both front and rear wheel drive cars while over there, but neither had LSD). My new car has LSD, but so far (thankfully), I don't think it has never cut in - but would I know? - Geoff.

devonutopia

Postby devonutopia » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:27 pm

I suppose the only way to know if its kicking in is whether in a situation of very minimal grip you can hear both tyres scrabbling for grip. However in that scenario I would expect slow speed, proper tyre/chains, so perhaps the feeling of scrabbling is not a tangible feeling whilst driving.

jont-

Postby jont- » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:52 pm

Erm, it's not an electronic aid that "cuts in". It's a mechanical thing that is doing its stuff whenever the wheels aren't travelling in a straight line (hence some people argue that LSDs compromise handling and make cars more understeery, since the default tendency is to want to keep the car straight).

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:20 pm

Yeah - 3 different effects:

1. with no loss of grip - tendency to pull car back to straight
2. with loss of grip of one wheel - still some power on other wheel due to limited slip
3. loss of grip of both wheels - no difference to normal diff
Nick

Return to “General Chat”