Call to fit automated speed limiting technology to cars

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
dvenman

Call to fit automated speed limiting technology to cars

Postby dvenman » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:21 pm

Interesting article on BBC News about road safety campaigners wanted to fit ISA (Intelligent Speed Adaptation) technology to all cars

Here's the link - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-42051612

But it's inappropriate speed, not necessarily exceeding the speed limit, which is the issue and I fear once again road safety campaigners have missed the point.

Horse

Re: Call to fit automated speed limiting technology to cars

Postby Horse » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:33 pm

Although . . . if I were to suggest that drink drivers, drivers using the phone, drugged drivers, etc. were all to be forced to drive slower, wouldn't that be a benefit? ;)

As a matter of interest, which speed limits do you want to be allowed to exceed?
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:43 pm

It's not the wanting to exceed the limit but the simplistic belief that the limit is safe that gets people annoyed.

All that ISA will do is encourage drivers to drive with the throttle pressed deep into the carpet in the belief the car will be automatically doing a safe speed. Just more dumbing down. :(
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

jont-

Postby jont- » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:47 pm

Horse wrote:Although . . . if I were to suggest that drink drivers, drivers using the phone, drugged drivers, etc. were all to be forced to drive slower, wouldn't that be a benefit? ;)

As a matter of interest, which speed limits do you want to be allowed to exceed?

"The device can be disabled at the touch of a button, at which point it reverts to an advisory status where the current, legal speed limit is simply displayed as a driver aid.
There is also a complete override switch with disables the system entirely."

But of course, drunk or distracted drivers would never do that? Just seems a way to encourage drivers to pay even less attention to what's going on outside of their car, now safe in the knowledge that even the automatic enforcement can't get them. But everyone can walk away from crashing within the speed limit, right?

As for which limits do I want to be allowed to exceed? All of them. They're almost never the maximum safe speed for a given stretch of road. Much better to be rid of them altogether and stop providing them as a crutch.

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:59 pm

jont- wrote: As for which limits do I want to be allowed to exceed? All of them. They're almost never the maximum safe speed for a given stretch of road. Much better to be rid of them altogether and stop providing them as a crutch.

I don't know why, but somehow . . . I think Brake are mor elikely to get their wish come true than you ;)

jont- wrote:"The device can be disabled . . . There is also a complete override switch with disables the system entirely." But of course, drunk or distracted drivers would never do that?

We have sober BMW owners who can't find an indicator switch . . .

Yes, as GTR says, it's dumbing down. Sadly, the 'intelligent' approach you would prefer isn't going to happen, is it?

jont-

Postby jont- » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:03 pm

Horse wrote:Yes, as GTR says, it's dumbing down. Sadly, the 'intelligent' approach you would prefer isn't going to happen, is it?

No, it isn't. Doesn't mean I'm wrong :P

My approach would also lead to massively reduced congestion (as I'd remove all the drivers from the roads who don't want to pay attention to the activity of, well, driving), providing huge numbers to drive demand for public transport.

I'm ever more feeling like it's time to leave the UK. Aspiring to mediocrity with delusions of adequacy. I don't know where our race to the bottom will end, but I'm not sure I want to be around to find out :evil:

waremark

Postby waremark » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:26 pm

jont- wrote:I'm ever more feeling like it's time to leave the UK. Aspiring to mediocrity with delusions of adequacy. I don't know where our race to the bottom will end, but I'm not sure I want to be around to find out :evil:

Not sure you will find any other countries with fewer irritations, they will just be different ones.

I loathe the prospect of ISA - but if it operated only in red ring limits, and allowed me to set a percentage leeway then instead of loathing it I might actually welcome it. That's not to say that I like speed limits, of course I too would prefer no limits, but there is no chance of that happening, and I would be happy to have the stress of possibly being caught breaking the limit taken away.

I haven't read this article, but I believe we are a fair distance away from having a reliable way for the car to know what the speed limit is. We have two cars which claim to use a combination of database and camera to display the speed limit, and I like the display as a piece of advisory information, but it is sometimes wrong, so definitely not accurate enough as a basis for ISA. (I switched my daughter's off because she preferred no information to information which might be wrong.)
Last edited by Mr Cholmondeley-Warner on Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mis-attributed quote

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:07 pm

jont- wrote:
Horse wrote:Yes, as GTR says, it's dumbing down. Sadly, the 'intelligent' approach you would prefer isn't going to happen, is it?

No, it isn't. Doesn't mean I'm wrong :P

Ah, the 'firing squad' principle: just because I'm outnumbered, doesn't mean I'm wrong.

jont-

Postby jont- » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:21 pm

waremark wrote:I loathe the prospect of ISA - but if it operated only in red ring limits, and allowed me to set a percentage leeway then instead of loathing it I might actually welcome it

Why on earth would it only operate in red rings and allow some leeway? It's the limit, not a guide :nono: :roll:

Unless the scamera operators still need a pool of victims to keep that business scam going? :roll:

waremark

Postby waremark » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:06 pm

jont- wrote:
waremark wrote:I loathe the prospect of ISA - but if it operated only in red ring limits, and allowed me to set a percentage leeway then instead of loathing it I might actually welcome it

Why on earth would it only operate in red rings and allow some leeway? It's the limit, not a guide :nono: :roll:

Unless the scamera operators still need a pool of victims to keep that business scam going? :roll:

It wouldn't, what I tried to say is that if it did I would like it.

Return to “General Chat”