APNR cameras

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
vanman

APNR cameras

Postby vanman » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:30 pm

I was under the impression that these could pick out untaxed, uninsured and mot failure vehicles. So why does the Swinton ad. state that there are one million uninsured drivers out there? Can this be right? :?

Gareth

Re: APNR cameras

Postby Gareth » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:39 pm

I thought uninsured was running at about 20%. Be that as it may, the trick would be having the resources to catching them
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

jont-

Postby jont- » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:57 pm

Gareth wrote:I thought uninsured was running at about 20%. Be that as it may, the trick would be having the resources to catching them

Indeed. Automatic enforcement relies entirely on dvla having accurate keeper details. What are the odds if you're uninsured the v5 is also pointing to a different address? :roll:

Much easier to take money off motorists who are law abiding other than compliance with a number on a stick :twisted:

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:22 pm

AFAIK, ANPR cameras are for information gathering, not direct enforcement. As such, they are a valuable asset. Worth noting that in the original trials which led to the widespread national system being introduced, the cameras were found to be used for a massive amount of non-motoring crime detection and prosecution.

That's not to say that enforcement won't be linked to ANPR in the future, I suppose.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

ancient

Postby ancient » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:38 am

ANPR cameras are used for enforcement, or at least those fitted to police cars are. I have a friend who let the insurance slip on his household's second car; His wife took the car for a spin to the shops: This proved an expensive combination of mistake and communication failure! The trick to enforcement though is getting sufficient police on the roads, correctly equipped and with the time to follow up on the alerts from the ANPR system.

Horse

Postby Horse » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:03 pm

Ah, my mistake. I presumed the OP was referring to the network of static cameras.

If the in-car system, the 'why no enforcement?' question is simple to answer: as ancient says, not enough trafpols on the road.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Return to “General Chat”