Run flats to 'normal tyres'

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
Rolyan

Run flats to 'normal tyres'

Postby Rolyan » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:02 pm

I'm looking to buy a mini and many of them come with run flat tyres (and flat tyres warning lights).

I want to put 'winter' (all season or mud and snow) tyres on. I was just wondering is this possible (I'm not really sure of the run flat technology) and does it affect the insurance?

devonutopia

Re: Run flats to 'normal tyres'

Postby devonutopia » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:27 pm

Type of tyre won't affect the pressure monitoring :) That's usually based on measuring wheel speeds.

Normal tyres are definitely more comfortable than run-flats. My mate had a Cooper S and first job he did was fit Cooper 16s and normal tyres. Became a much more comfy beast.

jont-

Postby jont- » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:56 pm

devonutopia wrote:Type of tyre won't affect the pressure monitoring :) That's usually based on measuring wheel speeds.

It depends. I wouldn't say usually. Increasing numbers of cars have valves with pressure sensors in. Some cars are smart enough to go "hey, I've got readings from 4 sensors in my vicinity, they must be mine". Others insist on only matching to particular IDs of the sensor. Which is a PITA if you want to fit different wheels, since you either need to reprogram the car whenever you swap wheels around, or discover the sensor IDs and have clones made. Yes, I've got one of these systems :evil: I don't know which type the mini has. If it is the wheel speed type, then that's nice and simple.

But TPMS are hateful things, I've had many, many false positives against one actual puncture, and of course even though technically it should be possible for the car to say /which/ tyre is flat, most systems don't, and with modern low profile tyres that means unless you have a pressure gauge, it's impossible to tell which one has the puncture :bash: I believe they're now mandated on new cars too.

As for insurance, yes, you should tell them as it's a modification. I'm aware anecdotally of a case where a car (OE runflats, but fitted with normal tyres) suffered a flat at speed on the motorway and the insurers refused to pay out as they claimed a run-flat may have avoided the accident. If the wheels are different you'll need to tell them about that anyway.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:19 pm

My car has actual pressure sensors, but doesn't bother to tell you which wheel is having the problem.

The ones on the bike are much better. Display shows front/rear ACTUAL pressures. Only down side is you need to ride for a 100yds or so for it to activate. It also has a level of heat compensation built in. I just check the pressures each day as I ride off. Just leaves regular visual checks for damage. I love it. However somer year models have sealed sensors and they need replacing when the battery expires at an astronomical price. My dealer prises them open and solders in a new battery!
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

fungus

Postby fungus » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:11 pm

My daughter has an R53 Cooper S which has 17inch rims. These were fitted with run flats and, combined with sports plus suspension, the ride was like a go-kart, horrendous. She has changed to normal tyres which has improved the ride considerably. She notified her insurance company of her intentions prior to changing. They had no issues with it as long as there was no change in tyre size.

Nigel.

exportmanuk

Postby exportmanuk » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:33 pm

Runflats are low profile tyres If you are getting normal tyres you may need to change your rims too or your speedo could be inaccurate using the original rims you will change the overall circumference of the wheel
Andrew Melton
Manchester 500

Rolyan

Postby Rolyan » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:18 am

I definitely don’t want to start changing the rims, and I would prefer avoiding the need for any discussions with the insurers, so based on the comments above I think it’s best to avoid run flats in the first place.

Thanks everybody be for the input.

gannet

Postby gannet » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:13 am

Just also bear in mind, different brands of Run-flat tyre ride significantly differently...

On my Z4 I switched from using the OEM Bridgestone run-flat tyre over to Michelin's version (PS2 ZP) and it transformed the car...

Current car rides on Dunlop Sport Max RT runflats and (aside from the sport suspension) is also fine.

We recently swapped the tyres on mrs gannet's MINI Coupe from the original Bridgestones, over to the Dunlop's... and again car transformed - no more fighting the road and much more give over bumps :D

TPMS - Mine just flagged up an issue, which I think is wrong, pressures are low (0.2 bar), but I don't think its a puncture, I'll check again later tos ee if they have dropped significantly.

The system on the MINI's at least the Coupe and the current F56 model works on Speed of rotation using (I believe) the ABS sensors.

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:24 am

I believe pressure sensors are obligatory, at least on some vehicles, these days.
The things can help when you hire a car and I make a habit of checking tyre pressures whenever I hire one. In most cases the pressures are way out and to an unsafe degree. The pressure sensors are a handy way of knowing in advance.
I always carry an accurate tyre pressure guauge and ask for a pump at the rental place (most of them have one). The last time the pressures were so high that the car, had it been fully laden, would have been unsafe. It was a small Mercedes van come people carrier (Citvan?) and based on a Renault, a make I know and understand how they handle. A simple adjustment transformed it and it was a pleasant vehicle to drive.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:55 pm

sussex2 wrote:The pressure sensors are a handy way of knowing in advance.

How does that work then. Most of the sensors need you to pump the tyres up and then then re-initialise the monitoring system. If you don't know the history and that isn't done, or is done incorrectly, (i.e. when they are already too high/low) they are as good as useless. Only the ones that are set at a predefined PSI range are any good.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Return to “General Chat”