Life sentences

Articles of interest to the AD community, currently in the news.
jont-

Re: Life sentences

Postby jont- » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:56 pm

ancient wrote:I'll add a number eight to your list:
8. The need for this http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/theresa-may-backs-new-law-protecting-emergency-workers-from-assaults-in-line-of-duty-five-case-studies_uk_59e7b1cce4b00905bdae7e17?ncid=engmodushpmg00000003. Nice that it (apparently) has backing and should go through. The requirement is (IMO) part of the same slide backwards in social responsibility.

Seems more like another point law for the sake of another law which already otherwise exists. Much like I'd see most of the motoring point legislation scrapped, since DWDCA (or dangerous) should already have it covered. :roll:

/then again, the main point of legislation seems to be to create work for lawyers. :bash:

ancient

Postby ancient » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:13 pm

No current law requires suspects to take a body-fluids check. The link explains why this is now needed.

jont-

Postby jont- » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:19 pm

ancient wrote:No current law requires suspects to take a body-fluids check. The link explains why this is now needed.

I expect one of the various random bits of existing anti-terror legislation could be abused for such a reason, since they're already abused so widely :roll:

Do you think a pissed-up fighty person is really going to think about a change in the law before striking out?

Rolyan

Postby Rolyan » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:33 pm

titian wrote:"That rather bleak view" desevers some further discussion and whilst I recognise some of Martin’s arguments and agree with some of his sentiments I do feel that the “bad” greatly outweighs the “good” in society at large, take for example: -
1. Explosions, attacks in the street where vehicles are used as weapons followed by random shootings and stabbings by those in the vehicles.
2. Random street attacks, a headmaster beaten to death, a policeman laying a stinger to stop a vehicle thief becomes the target and is killed, the guy who tries to stop the theft of his Audi S3 and the thief runs over and kills him. Week end violence and stabbings in almost any city centre you care to mention.
3. Massive increases in drugs and drunkenness on our streets.
4. Massive increases in bullying and on-line hate messages largely affecting those who can’t live without social media.
5. The reluctance to take personal responsibly for one’s actions as often manifested in the use of multiple credit cards and loans when there is no planned way of repaying the debts.
6. Staged multiple whiplash claims to defraud the insurance company
7. And the overriding attitude of it’s always someone else’s fault and I’ll sue them to get recompense for whatever happened.

It’s the pervasive constant slide away from our historical standards that concern me as I can see no end to it.

While I recognise your concerns and share them, there is no way that the bad outweighs the good. No way, not never, nada, non, no no.

The thing that should keep everyone going is that the good MASSIVELY outweighs the bad, every single day, 24/7/52. Always. Without exception.

For every terrorist attack, there are thousands (millions) of people currently contributing to charitable causes, including supporting those who belong to groups that the terrorists claim as their own.

For every mugging, there are thousands of people willing to help. Witness the amount raised (often without being asked) when something is featured on TV.

I was in a queue the other day in Poole, when a short arsed cockney sparrow started giving it large (small man complex) simply because he thought I had pushed in (I hadn’t). Despite everything, he continued his verbal and aggressive abuse (while his wife sidled away), and although his attempts at sarcasm were humerous, it wore a little thin. Even his ‘shut it’ (said like Del Boy) wasn’t the end. It took the edge of my ice cream, despite an inner smile at his Vin Diesel t shirt and tattoos. But on the walk back to the boat, I made a mental note to count how many good things balanced it. There were dozens, from a smile, to holding a door open, to a car allowing others to cross, to people moving aside. Dozens of random acts of ‘niceness’ that more than balanced the one idiotic stupidity of the cockney rebel, with his sad life and even sadder wife.

Some things in life are bad. But the good massively outweighs, small and large.

titian

Postby titian » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:43 am

Rolyan, you live in a beautiful part of the country, cocooned from the realties out there in the real world, and by the way, I would love to have the address of that rose coloured glasses shop that you frequent.

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:22 am

One of my favourite books is Brighton Rock, which is set in the 1930s.
The level of violence, including acid throwing (vitriol) seems pretty high to me.
I prefer to see things in a more balanced way and understand that things are cyclical and change.

Rolyan

Postby Rolyan » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:33 pm

titian wrote:Rolyan, you live in a beautiful part of the country, cocooned from the realties out there in the real world, and by the way, I would love to have the address of that rose coloured glasses shop that you frequent.

Actually you couldn’t be more wrong. I live in a northern inner city, voted recently as one of the worst places in the country to live in. We have a large drug problem, issues with race, high crime, violent and armed gang violence, poverty, and real no go areas.

I’ve possibly seen, and been affected by, more of the ‘real’ world than you have, based on:

a) my childhood. 6 kids, 2 parents, and no house bigger than inner city 2 bedroom terraced house. Yep indeed, 6 kids and 2 adults, 2 bedrooms. Oh, and the first 2 houses had only outside toilets, with the first one being a tipple toilet.
b) a financially poor upbringing. There were occasions when we had nothing to eat and no money, and neighbours brought food baskets round.
c) travel. I’ve been really fortunate to travel extensively, and I’ve witnessed real hardship, that is heartbreaking.
d) family relationships. Seeing sisters live through abusive relationships, with at least one spouse being extremely violent, before dying due to serious drug abuse.

But yeah, you carry on dismissing me, if it helps you live in your small, negative and pessimistic world. I’ll carry on in mine, and wish you well.

titian

Postby titian » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:37 am

Rolyan -whist I fully understand a "50's working class upbringing" and sympathise with your situation since than, this thread has swerved off course, read page 1 again. It's what's happening now in society and how the lack of discipline, regard for the laws of the land, personal responsibility etc etc can be addressed and changed that's my concern and I guess that of the silent majority.

Or do we just get on with our lives, adhering to our principles and let the next generation(s) sort out the mess?

martine

Postby martine » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:16 am

Rolyan wrote:...But yeah, you carry on dismissing me, if it helps you live in your small, negative and pessimistic world. I’ll carry on in mine, and wish you well.

Well said.
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

fungus

Postby fungus » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:17 pm

martine wrote:
Rolyan wrote:...But yeah, you carry on dismissing me, if it helps you live in your small, negative and pessimistic world. I’ll carry on in mine, and wish you well.

Well said.

+1

Nigel.

Return to “In The News”