Flat bottomed steering wheels - why??

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Re: Flat bottomed steering wheels - why??

Postby jcochrane » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:21 pm

Not surprisingly so does the new Peugeot range. Personally I love it. Small wheel set low absolutely perfect for the ideal hand/arm configuration. Also allows main dials to be viewed over the wheel rather than though it. The flat bottom of the steering wheel eases knee clearance when getting in and out of the car without the need to raise the steering wheel.
Last edited by jcochrane on Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

RiK

Postby RiK » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:58 am

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:(a bit pointless imho if it makes it impossible to turn the wheel more than 10 degrees in either direction :D ).

Pretty sure the logic is to make it easier to get in/out of the car. The wheel still rotates just fine once you're sat in the drivers seat..
Richard Olpin: Bristol IAM: Training Officer, IAM: Masters (Dist), IMI National Observer, LOA. Gloucestershire Constabulary SC6240.

ancient

Postby ancient » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:11 am

Do people with flat bottomed steering wheels always park with the wheels straight? I don't (sometimes for good reason, sometimes just 'cos that's where it ended up). Do you dry-steer to bring the flat to the bottom or just need more space (particularly thinking about kerbside town parking where only inches longer than the car are available)?

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:54 am

jcochrane wrote:I rarely park with the wheels not straight. If, however, someone has parked very close to my bumper I just shuffle backward and forward turning the wheel whilst moving to avoid dry steering.

John, you pressed "Report" instead of "Quote" so I've posted this on your behalf.
Nick

jcochrane

Postby jcochrane » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:59 am

thanks Nick.

ancient

Postby ancient » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:47 pm

I've been reported :oops: :)

I was just wondering 'cos if the wheels are not straight then surely the flat isn't at the bottom of the wheel (so it does not assist entering/exiting the seat as some were saying).

jcochrane

Postby jcochrane » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:53 pm

Sorry. That was probably me. See Nick’s post above where he says I clicked on report instead of quote.

waremark

Postby waremark » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:09 pm

So if it's about getting in and out, how do you explain the cars in which the wheel rises electronically when you switch off, which also have flat bottom wheels?

What examples can anyone think of in which it is difficult to get in and out because of the position of the wheel? (not including a Caterham without the removable wheel option).

Jonquirk

Postby Jonquirk » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:33 pm

Given that most vehicles have about three turns from lock to lock, ie 1.5turns each way there are two points at about two thirds lock on each side where the flat portion of the wheel is at the bottom. Handy if you wish to park with some lock on when parking on a slope for example and still slide your knee past.

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:03 pm

Which part of "it's a gimmick" are we having trouble with here? :D
Nick

Return to “General Chat”