Admiral - Speed Awareness Course....

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
GTR1400MAN

Re: Admiral - Speed Awareness Course....

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:42 pm

Sounds a bit revvy to me, especially on a flat twin.

30 in 3rd on a Blackbird seems reasonable. Especially as it will be 'old school' without a twitchy over light throttle that afflict so many modern bikes. Depends on the road (width, hazards, etc). Again 2nd for me would be a bit revvy. I'd accelerate to 30, using 1st/2nd and then take 3rd to maintain speed.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

exportmanuk

Postby exportmanuk » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:11 pm

He could not keep it to 30 40 ok but 30 was at least 35.

7k on the RT it was a little vibey but was much more controllable, on the twisties. it was the suggestion of the Police instructor who was riding the same model bike behind me. We were riding the B roads of Yorkshire. Put me right on a couple of things. I was a little late getting on the gas going in to right handers and as a result was not always taking the best line. Mirror checks do both every time. I do the one or both depending on what I think is most appropriate. He suggested to check both as in a stressful situation I may check the wrong one. Probably more applicable to going under blues and twos but something to work on.
Andrew Melton
Manchester 500

fungus

Postby fungus » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:51 pm

sussex2 wrote:I wonder how much the manner in which people have been taught to drive comes into this? Especially for those 'caught' at lower speeds.
A few years ago (and it may be still relevant) there seemed to be a fashion to encourage the use of higher numbered gears, with consequent less accelerator control at low speeds.

I think that's a relevant point.

Talking to one of our local examiners a few weeks ago he raised exactly that point, especialy when joining a 70mph dual carriageway. He said that it was quite common for candidates to pootle along the slip road in forth or fith at 35-40 mph instead of being in third which obviously is a more flexible gear, in my Fiesta up to 70mph fairly comfortably.

Nigel.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:11 pm

exportmanuk wrote:7k on the RT it was a little vibey but was much more controllable, on the twisties. it was the suggestion of the Police instructor who was riding the same model bike behind me.

They rev the nuts of the things. Was he on his own personal bike? What do you mean by "more controllable"?
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Return to “General Chat”