Fancy buying a car?

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
Silk

Re: Fancy buying a car?

Postby Silk » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:32 pm

WhoseGeneration wrote:Then, what is art?, many paintings continue to appreciate, why?

I'm sorry, but isn't that bloody obvious? Investors see that something has increased in value historically and hope that it continues to be the case. Old cars, like old paintings, will continue to appreciate as long as there are enough fools with enough money to keep inflating the bubble.

As far as I'm concerned, a car is a tool with which to practice the art of driving.

Revian

Postby Revian » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:21 pm

Sometimes cheap tools are poor tools.... No puns...

Ian
Ian

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:14 pm

Do you own any object which you are fond of because of its design, quality or heritage, Steve? Perhaps you have an interest in woodworking tools, or watches, or any other object which might have been better made, with more artistic flair and craftsmanship, in the past ...
Nick

Silk

Postby Silk » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:16 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:Do you own any object which you are fond of because of its design, quality or heritage, Steve? Perhaps you have an interest in woodworking tools, or watches, or any other object which might have been better made, with more artistic flair and craftsmanship, in the past ...

I have an original Papermate pen from the 70s. I had one when I was at school and found one on Ebay in mint condition for £20 - I use it every day. On the other hand, I was given a £500 fountain pen as a long-service award from work which I haven't even taken out of the box. So yes, I do understand where people are coming from. It's the assumption that you're not really a proper enthusiast if you don't appreciate certain cars from the past that I have a problem with. It's a bit like being accused of being gay because you don't find Katie Price attractive.

As I'm not a car enthusiast, it's modern cars every time for me. I just want to drive them, not worship them. When they wear out, I get another one. I have no particular attachment to them, I don't get all nostalgic about cars I've owned in the past. I'm always looking at my next car and not my last. I realise this is completely alien to some on here, but that's the way it is.

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:57 pm

I used to love Papermate pens too. I will have to see if I can find my old one. I have several fountain pens, but seldom remember to use them. I have a nice Cross pen which was a "long" service (5 year) award from my company that is a pleasure to use. Perversely, the fact that it has the old-style company logo on it instead of the new one is one of its major attractions! :D

But there are hundreds of classic cars I long to own. I never will, because mostly they are far outwith my means, and those that aren't represent too much of an investment in time and nervousness about their inevitable decay. So I'm restricted to reasonably modern cars now. My favourite car is the oldest of my tiny fleet, though, because it has character. It's over there ------------>

If I was lucky enough to own any of my dream cars, they'd certainly be driven!
Nick

hir

Postby hir » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:08 pm

Silk wrote: ... I'm always looking at my next car and not my last.

Ah, so you've been completely taken in by the dominant global capitalist economic model of built-in obsolescence whereby a throw away consumer society dominates, where we experience the ever growing demand for innovation and the latest fashion, the latest "must-have" sat-navigator gizmo or blue-teeth, or whatever, resulting in the wasteful over-production of low-quality, short-life, consumer goods that serve no useful purpose other than to create ever more wealth for the capitalist elite who continue to oppress the working class zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. :evil:

That's the real reason why we like older cars :lol:. Actually, I might have got that wrong???

waremark

Postby waremark » Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:11 am

hir wrote:
Silk wrote: ... I'm always looking at my next car and not my last.

Ah, so you've been completely taken in by the dominant global capitalist economic model of built-in obsolescence whereby a throw away consumer society dominates, where we experience the ever growing demand for innovation and the latest fashion, the latest "must-have" sat-navigator gizmo or blue-teeth, or whatever, resulting in the wasteful over-production of low-quality, short-life, consumer goods that serve no useful purpose other than to create ever more wealth for the capitalist elite who continue to oppress the working class zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. :evil:

That's the real reason why we like older cars :lol:. Actually, I might have got that wrong???

Good description of me!

Return to “General Chat”