Uh-Oh . . . Trouble in the stable :)

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
Horse

Uh-Oh . . . Trouble in the stable :)

Postby Horse » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:18 am

Apparently Foal has been commenting on Filly's driving :)

After a braking event during which some of the load in the car moved, Foal commented to Filly that it would have been better if she had used 'taper' braking. However, he did comment favourably when she slowed more smoothly a little later.

My fault, apparently :D
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Re: Uh-Oh . . . Trouble in the stable :)

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:19 am

Oh dear. The fillies are notoriously sensitive to such input and likely to react unpredictably :o
Nick

exportmanuk

Postby exportmanuk » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:06 pm

I suspect Foal may find there are penalties for such rash behavior. May have to muck out own stable or something equally distasteful
Andrew Melton
Manchester 500

devonutopia

Postby devonutopia » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:26 pm

Can someone please explain this concept as I'm not sure I fully comprehend the use of the word "taper" here. There was talk at our last group meeting about "trail braking" which sounds a little extreme for road use, until someone else described it as more like feathering the brake to maintain a controlled speed around a slow downhill corner. Trail braking is more what I use on trackdays to get the rear end in a good position.

hir

Postby hir » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:44 pm

devonutopia wrote:Can someone please explain this concept as I'm not sure I fully comprehend the use of the word "taper" here. There was talk at our last group meeting about "trail braking" which sounds a little extreme for road use, until someone else described it as more like feathering the brake to maintain a controlled speed around a slow downhill corner. Trail braking is more what I use on trackdays to get the rear end in a good position.

I would suggest that "taper" braking and "trail braking" are two completely separate concepts.

Tapering the braking simply means coming onto the brake pedal with an initial gentle pressure to bring the pads and discs into contact and gently altering the attitude of the car with the weight being moved forward without a jerk, then the braking pressure is firmed up and brake pressure modulated to achieve the desired braking effect, then the pressure on the brake pedal is tapered off as the speed comes down to that which is required. The opposite to tapering the braking is to "jump" on the brakes to start with and then to "jump" off them at the end. This results in a somewhat uncomfortable, unsmooth, jerky brake application. Jumping on and off the brakes is usually a result of inadequate planning.

Trail braking is carrying the braking to the apex of the bend. The purpose behind this is to create a weight transfer towards the front tyres, thus increasing their traction and reducing understeer. A useful technique when driving older Porsche 911s.

So, taper braking is about how one applies the brakes, trail braking is about where one applies the brakes.

fungus

Postby fungus » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:59 pm

A similar term I've heard is diamond braking, and the one most ADIs use, progressive braking.

Nigel.

Silk

Postby Silk » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:03 pm

fungus wrote:A similar term I've heard is diamond braking, and the one most ADIs use, progressive braking.

Feel, firm, feather is the term I'm familiar with.

Just take up the slack initially, then brake quite firmly, with a taper off at the end so the brakes are off just as the car comes to a stop. It works just as well in situations where you need to brake harshly (not that a proper "advanced" driver would ever need to brake harshly). When you're learning the technique, the trick is to brake much more firmly than you would think necessary in order to allow room for the feather stage. After a while, it becomes second nature and you forget how you managed to do it so badly before.

Along with good pull-push steering and sustained gear changing, it's one of my favourite techniques. Let's hope it doesn't get outlawed. :D

crr003

Postby crr003 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:29 pm

Three-stage braking.

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:59 pm

hir wrote: Tapering the braking simply means . . . gently altering the attitude of the car with the weight being moved forward without a jerk

I believe my wife may have commented about the jerk who was sat in the passenger seat at the time . . . :lol:
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Silk

Postby Silk » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:22 pm

crr003 wrote:Three-stage braking.

Also known as a chauffeur stop, I believe.

Return to “General Chat”