Notice of intended prosecution.

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
dvenman

Re: Notice of intended prosecution.

Postby dvenman » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:02 am

martine wrote:But rather than trying to avoid a penalty on a technicality...

If drivers are expected to follow the rules 100% of the time and not get caught speeding, surely also it's a valid expectation for the authorities issuing tickets to get it right 100% of the time. And when they don't, they get sanctioned?

martine

Postby martine » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:12 pm

dvenman wrote:

If drivers are expected to follow the rules 100% of the time and not get caught speeding, surely also it's a valid expectation for the authorities issuing tickets to get it right 100% of the time. And when they don't, they get sanctioned?

That turns it into a 'them' vs 'us' situation...I was suggesting a little self-evaluation might be beneficial rather than trying to wriggle out.

I say this as someone who last week may have been zapped by a speed camera last week (nothing's arrived in the post...yet... :oops: ). My second reaction after "Oh deary me, damn and blast" (may have been a shorter exclamation!) was to understand why I didn't notice and react to the signs and camera until pretty close.
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

jont-

Postby jont- » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:34 pm

martine wrote:
dvenman wrote:

That turns it into a 'them' vs 'us' situation...I was suggesting a little self-evaluation might be beneficial rather than trying to wriggle out.

It is them vs us. While councils set inappropriate limits, scamera operators use disingenuous tactics such as hiding in tractors (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ACTOR.html) and people are let off a supposedly serious offence by paying for a course, the whole thing is a joke. Until TPTB are prepared to have a proper conversation about sensible and appropriate speed limits /and ensure that councils also follow the rules on setting them/, anything you can do to avoid a ticket that isn't illegal is only fair game.

fungus

Postby fungus » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:38 pm

I am waiting for a n NIP to arrive in my name as it was me who was driving, and we have informed the police of that. Initially, we were both confused by the location as it didn't tie up with our direction of travel on that Thursday, the 27th July, which was NE towards Wimborne Minster, not SW towards Wareham. When we recieved the NIP stating that the offence took place in Wimborne Rd, it then made sense, as we would have traveled on Wimborne Rd at the time of the offence.

The offer of a driver awareness course was included on both NIPs, which is what I intend to take up when I recieve an NIP in my name.

Nigel.

martine

Postby martine » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:07 pm

jont wrote:It is them vs us. While councils set inappropriate limits, scamera operators use disingenuous tactics such as hiding in tractors (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ACTOR.html) and people are let off a supposedly serious offence by paying for a course, the whole thing is a joke. Until TPTB are prepared to have a proper conversation about sensible and appropriate speed limits /and ensure that councils also follow the rules on setting them/, anything you can do to avoid a ticket that isn't illegal is only fair game.

As you know Jon, I agree with much of your sentiment but all I'm suggesting is getting zapped probably highlights poor observation and/or concentration is a lesson in itself and is certainly something I need to improve on.
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

dvenman

Postby dvenman » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:16 am

martine wrote:all I'm suggesting is getting zapped probably highlights poor observation and/or concentration is a lesson in itself and is certainly something I need to improve on.

Indeed, Martin - I was being deliberately "controversial". I'd feel the same way.

waremark

Postby waremark » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:57 am

But if someone as expert and diligent as Martin makes a mistake of this kind it is clear that all drivers sometimes do so, and whether or not they get caught is a lottery. (Says a conscientious driver who is a graduate of a speed awareness course ).

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:35 am

There is not one of us that could not, for a moment, lose the plot and get a ticket; not one who for a short while hasn't thought 'What's the speed limit' or misjudged a trafffic light.
We all have days when our driving is below par.

jont-

Postby jont- » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:51 am

sussex2 wrote:There is not one of us that could not, for a moment, lose the plot and get a ticket; not one who for a short while hasn't thought 'What's the speed limit' or misjudged a trafffic light.
We all have days when our driving is below par.

Or the road environment is below par (inconsistencies between counties, signs hidden in hedges etc etc).

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:00 am

And they have a responsibility to to keep the signs visible. I spend most of my time on B roads and you have to really hunt for the changes in limit ... especially as many roads that look, and were NSL, are now 30/40 (Suffolk) or 50 (Norfolk/Essex). :evil:
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Return to “General Chat”